1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Statements

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Kyri, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Dear Mr. Williams,
    I am an NQT in Maths, and graduated my PGCE last year. I still haven't found a job yet and have sent off 6 applications. I keep reading/watching TES videos concerning writing a personal statement. They say not to use I, to use headings and so on, but what type of prose should I therefore use? I do use headings, Introduction, Lesson Planning, Knowledge and Understanding and Conclusion, but how can I avoid using I when writing about how I plan/deliver my lessons? Having read conflicting ideas and advice, I have read statements from my fellow PGCE students who have found jobs and their statements are littered with I's. Please help!! Thanking you in advance, and have a good day!!
    Desperate one

2. Dear Mr. Williams,
    I am an NQT in Maths, and graduated my PGCE last year. I still haven't found a job yet and have sent off 6 applications. I keep reading/watching TES videos concerning writing a personal statement. They say not to use I, to use headings and so on, but what type of prose should I therefore use? I do use headings, Introduction, Lesson Planning, Knowledge and Understanding and Conclusion, but how can I avoid using I when writing about how I plan/deliver my lessons? Having read conflicting ideas and advice, I have read statements from my fellow PGCE students who have found jobs and their statements are littered with I's. Please help!! Thanking you in advance, and have a good day!!
    Desperate one

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not James obviously, but...

I would say your subheadings really need to be linked to the person specification of the job you are applying for. Whatever subheadings they use, you use in the same order. Yes you will need to rewrite your personal statement for each and every job, but it is worth it.

Using 'I' in every single sentence, especially to start them, looks and sounds bad. However, you are fine to use I some of the time in some sentences. Just reread at the end of each paragraph and then each section and check the writing flows well.

I would also say that you need to type your statement into a programme that will run a good grammar check for you. Your statement needs to be perfect in terms of grammar, punctuation and spelling. Your post here might not reflect what you do for an application, but the standard for a successful application would need to be higher.

Read the advice on the job seeking forum here as well, lots of good and useful stuff there.

Good Luck.

4. Having just looked back covering letters I have written I have used I a lot! The covering letter for which I later got a job offer starts almost every paragraph with I! I wouldn't worry about using I too often!

5. First of all I would dirwct you to Theogriff's forum whwere he goves a lot of very helpful advice on job applications.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/77.aspx
    There are also TES seminars on getting teaching jobs which are very worthwhile (look out for the adverts on the forums) or visit here:
    http://tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com/
    That all said, what you mjust do in personal statements is address the person specification which should be sent to you by the school when you ask for job details. The use of a personal pronoun is not banned, nor is it undesirable since it is, after all, a PERSONAL statement. That said, over use or use that makes the statement seem repetetive can make a reader wary.
    Do use headings to help the reader navigate through the sections and ensure that you address the job that is on offer - try not to include what are cliche statements since anyone who is reading them will have to read many others and stock phrases do get you down after a while.
    Make sure that your statement addresses the school you are applying to. No two schools are the same so do your homework and read up on the school, its ethos, its educational approach etc and construct the ststement to show that you would fit in.
    James

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

In addition you need to consider the strength of your first degree and how you can relate your Maths knowledge to the syllabi you teach. When I read an application I want to form a picture of what you would be like in the classroom. The actual prose style/heading and format are secondary to that consideration.

7. Thank you very much for your help, it was very useful.

8. Thanks a lot for the help Mr. Williams, I will follow up those links.

9. Great piece of advice wizard, thanks a bundle, very useful indeed!!!