1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Statement

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by fionaclewis, Apr 13, 2018.

1. fionaclewis

fionaclewis New commenter

I'm applying for a new job for the first time in many years, and wondering what a Personal Statement looks like these days. How long should it be? Is it full of American-style gushing phrases about how passionate you are about everything, and how well you've demonstrated certain skills thus far, or is it more simple and matter of fact? Don't want to blow it before I even get to interview!

Many thanks for any advice.

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

The key thing in any personal statement is to make sure you address each aspect of the job description and person spec. Keep it simple and to the point - no more than 2 sides of A4.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Good advice from @carriecat10 above. In terms of 'gushing phrases' etc, I think I would be guided by the advert. If it is full of stuff about wanting somebody who is passionate blah blah blah, then you probably need to use similar language. Or, possibly, avoid such schools. And make it personal to you and the job. Tell them why you think you and the job are an ideal fit. This does mean changing your statement each time you apply for another job, but a lot of it can be kept standard if you are careful. If you do amend a statement, make sure you do a quick search for the name of the previous school - mentioning Blogg Academy when you are applying at Fred College is a sure way to the round filing tray! Good luck.