1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal statement

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Shahrine, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Shahrine

Shahrine New commenter

Hi

I am looking to apply for full time positions as I relocated and left the school I was working in. I was hoping someone could help me on here with regards to writing a personal statement for a teaching position. I'm struggling to start with it so would be grateful if anyone had good examples of personal statements.

Thanks

thekillers likes this.
  2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We don't usually provide personal statements here on tes, but our old guru has a number of threads which should give you an idea of something called an ES - it's where you link the job specification to your own skills, experience and qualifications to each school/role. It's an excellent way of showing a potential employer how you tick the boxes (but warning - you need to adjust to each job).

I'll see if I can find them....

4. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Private PM please.

5. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Message me or provide your email address and I'll get back to you :)

6. DrEmmaKell

DrEmmaKell New commenter

Hi all,

My tips for personal statements:

Ensure they address the person spec and job description as this is likely to be the first method they use to filter the statements - there are two schools of thought on this; one is that you should address the points in order and the other is that you follow a more natural organic method. I instinctively favour the second, but the first can be a good way of keeping yourself disciplined in addressing the points.

It can be very useful to use subheadings and bullet points to keep you structure concise. (Again, this is a matter of taste and style.)

Like any piece of writing, knowing 'where to start' can be a real blocker - if it's stopping you from getting going, start somewhere in the middle! I almost always end up deleting my first sentence in favour of getting straight into it anyway...

Let your individual voice come through - don't allow yourself to be stifled by the apparently formulaic nature of it.

Avoid just listing things you've done/achieved - always explain how you've developed as a result and what the impact has been on students.

Think throughout in terms of what YOUR unique contribution will be to the role. It can be helpful to have three 'key messages' that you want to get through - three key strengths, for example, and treat these themes.

Make particular reference to the school you're applying for and show you've done your homework - write about what attracted you specifically about the ethos, for example and (without over-egging the negatives!) how you would contribute to the school's areas for development. N.B. Beware of making reference to areas for development in Ofsted reports that are less than recent as you can assume that the school will have at least begun to address these - it's a good idea to ask about these in interview.

A couple of obvious ones:

Proof read carefully - many school leaders will simply reject a statement if they find a typo or poor punctuation before reading on. It sounds obvious, but I've seen a phenomenal number of statements with poor English! Make sure you've spelt the name of the school correctly (as above!) and that, if you're adapting previous drafts, that you have the correct name for the school and not the name of another school (again, more common than you might expect!)

Finally a word of warning - there will be many generous people on here willing to share theirs and my instinct to see the best in everyone celebrates this. But beware of sharing statements with people you don't know (I have done this too...) - there is a risk that your material could be re-used and misinterpreted by schools who see the same phrases used more than once...

sabrinakat and mrs-badger like this.