1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Kelloggs, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

I have been out of this for a little while (not that long but enough to have to think long and hard!) and I want to adapt my personal statement to send off for new applications.

In order to maximise my chances, what am I supposed to put in it? I have put things like I believe blah, blah, blah and have put evidence of things I have done to back it up but wondered if I am missing something fundamental? Now I have got some interviews from my last statement but more often than not, I got no acknowledgement at all. I am not sure if this was because my statement wasn't strong enough, or if it was my experience etc. Can anybody help? Clearly I am not asking to look at any, but merely to ensure that I am putting the right sorts of things in it!

Thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Welcome to the world of job seeking 2011!
    It may well have changed since you were last in this position . . .
    Read the advice in the shortlisting clickables that I wrote and have been put inside the Welcome thread for tips on how to improve your application. Lara has given you the links above.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars