1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sandiejones, May 15, 2011.

1. I really need help.This is my third year of try to find a permanent primary contract. I have done supply and temp contracts in the last 2 years. I have come to the conclusion that its my personal statement that really needs sorting. Can anyone help me?
    If you have a good statement I'd love to see it so I can gather ideas. sandie.jones@gmail.com
    Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Job hunting is really hard, Sandie, and I am sorry that for you it has been particularly difficult.
    It's very important for you to have an application that fits the school that you are applying to, and its specific needs. Therefore you need to have an application letter or statement that is written specifically for each individual school. Yes, there will be some - perhaps many - similarities between them, but you do need to recognise that you need more than just my personal statement.
    No.
    This is a REALLY bad idea, Sandie.
    It is essential that any application that you send in for any job is personal to you, and has not been inspired by someone else.
    Many LEAs are nowadays using plagiarism software (the same type of thing as is used by Unis to check student essays) to see if an application has similarities to another one submitted elsewhere. If it has, and is not by the same person, they are telling Heads to reject them.
    If you look at someone else's application and get ideas from it, it may well come up as being too similar to that original. Or to the application of another candidate who also saw it.
    So do not ask to see someone else's application, nor share yours.
    If you open the Welcome thread on here, you will see some clickables inside (particularly the FAQs and the shortlisting ones) that will help you to produce a good application. Much better than seeing someone else's, honest!
    Good luck

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!