1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jennmrowlands, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Hi everyone
    I'm currently half way through my PGCE, and now starting to look for a job for next year. I've signed up to a couple of recruitment websites, including the one for the local council where I would like to work, and I need to include a personal statement. Does anyone have any tips for how to write a good, generic personal statement - obviously, if i get the opportunity, I will be able to personalise it for the specific schools! I have written a draft one, but I've no idea if I'm writing the right sort of things!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope you're enjoying the PGCE! Glad to see that you are already thinking of job hunting.
    Generic personal statements are a good starting point, but only that. They must must must be tailored to the individual school (unless you're applying to a pool, of course), but you seem to have got that idea clearly on board, so that's good.
    The first thing to do in job hunting is to make the most of this Forum, not by just asking questions, but by looking around, searching and generally browsing. There are answers to questions you have already thought of, and answers to questions that it didn't even occur to you to think of! So get browsing!
    The first thing to browse is the thread pinned to the top of the Forum - inside are two clickables: How to Get Shortlisted and also How Not to Get Shortlisted. Other posters have found that following this advice can bring results.
    Then look at the post for NQTs and writing statements:
    <h3>NQTs - how to write a good personal statement</h3>If you are looking at a local council pool, then you need to read this one:
    <h3>Pools, what they are, and how they work</h3>Don't forget to widen your possibilities as much as possible:
    <h3>Yes, you can do your induction year in an independent school!</h3><h3>*** Applications for jobs for Sept 2010 ***
    </h3>(By the way - sign up for the TES JobAlerts, and remind everyone else on your course to do this too)
    There is good advice elsewhere on writing statements, try the TDA for example:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/upload/resources/pdf/r/rtt_magazine_summer_2009.pdf
    When you get to the interview stage, you'll find good helpful threads on here about that too.
    And whgen you get a job, your very first teaching job, everyone here will be rushing to congratulate you! So at that stage, start a new thread and call it: Dear Theo, I got the job!.
    Very best of luck for the rest of your course and in your job seeking.

3. Thank you Theo, that's all really helpful!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Up again

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Keep bumping this up, folks!

There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump it up
    Good luck

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.