1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal statement trouble

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by joyanne31, Oct 20, 2011.

1. As a NQT I knew that it would be tough gaining my first post but after 63 applications I am not getting any interviews, I can only think that either the world is against me or my personal statement must suck.
    I finished my PGCE with Outstanding, so it is not that I had problem placements or poor references, I am just simply not getting to interview to show off my skills.

I have adapted my personal statement to each job, but I am very poor at selling myself. Can anyone give me some tips on how to write about your skills without it sounding like you are a big head know it all?

2. Have a look at the welcome thread at the beginning for tips and the Executive Summary. I was the same, loads of applications but not even one interview to try and wow them. Only since including an executive summary have I been shortlisted so try it. Anything is worth a try, good luck! [​IMG]

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

But for a job application that is exactly what you need to do; sell yourself as an important asset to the school which they can't affford to pass up!
    I know it's difficult if you're not naturally inclined to 'big yourself up', but if you want to get a job (in any area of life) perhaps it's an ability in which you need to train yourself?

4. I absolutely hate writing all that bombastic rubbish. 'I am excellent at... I have demonstrated outstanding knowledge of...' etc. But, tell ya what: everyone else will be doing it!
    The other thing I hate is how absolutely artless they are:
    I am excellent at X. Here is an example of a time I did this.
    I am excellent at Y. Here is an example of a time I did this.
    I am excellent at-
    You get the idea. They're ugly, tedious pieces of writing and it took me a while to get used to that fact!
    Good luck xx

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Joyanne - 63 applications and no interviews - what a marathon! You have been putting an enormous amount of effort into this.
    If you are not getting interviews, it is due to one of two things - or a combination of both!
    Perhaps you are applying in a very competitive part of the country. In the SW, NE and NW there are often 100+ or even 200+ applicants for primary posts, for example. It's really hard in those circumstances.
    And clearly your application is not identifying your strengths and bringing them to the attention of the school, making you stand out from the other applicants, however many there are.
    So going to the WElcome thread and reading about the Executive Summary (read both the shortlisting clickables) could help you. Having the exec summary in itself can tip the balance in your favour. Just writing it (BEFORE you write your application letter or statement) can help you see other relevant points that you may have missed.
    This thread gives links to some comments by posters on using this.
    How to Win That Teaching Job
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!