1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Statement Length?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by maggieDD, Mar 6, 2016.

1. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I am in the process of writing my CV to send to prospective employers in the hope of starting on a trainee teacher programme. I currently work in school as a TA and graduated recently with a 2:1 degree.
    I am so very confused about how long a personal statement should be. Having done extensive research online, some advice says no more than 10 lines, others give examples that are several paragraphs long! I've searched on this website also, but cannot get a succinct answer to my question. And as for a covering letter? How do they differ? Should the covering letter be more comprehensive or the personal statement?
    I have drafted a statement but am concerned that I haven't used any specific examples of my practice, rather generalisations.
    Any advice would be very gratefully received!

2. mkl

mkl New commenter

Look up Theo Griff's Professional Advice hub (4th thread on Workplace Dilemmas).

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Two sides of A4 normal sized font, normal sized margins top, bottom and sides, should be the maximum.

A covering letter is a personal statement but begins Dear Dr Griffiths, I suggest that you write a letter in this case.

Best to be specific rather than airy-fairy general.

Some of this will be relevant to you:

Letter of application for a teaching job

Best wishes

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Or first thread on this Careers Clinic forum! ;)

Best wishes