1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

personal statement, executive summary AND covering letter

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by susiec08, May 14, 2011.

1. I have been reading the great advice on here about executive summaries and am planning to adapt my next few applications to include this.
    One advert had asked for the covering letter to include lots of information (more of a letter of application!) which I have currently in my personal statement.
    Would it be acceptable to include the executive summary in place of the personal statement on the application form, as all the detailed information will be in the letter of application?
    Thank you in anticipation of all the helpful replies.
    susiec

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, if there is a big enough space on the for, you can put the exec summary in there and then have a separate letter of application.
    Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks for your reply.
    There is 2 A4 size boxes on the application form for the personal statement. If I chose to do the executive summary instead I can acheive that on 1 A4 side.
    If I use the letter of application (instead of a covering letter) that then covers in more detail my experiences and how they relate to the post. This is 2 A4 sides.
    Does this sound acceptable?
    Just to clarify the executive summary is just that: almost a list of job/person spec with examples from my experiences etc. Short, sweet and to the point. As an NQT do heads fine this acceptable?
    I have heard so many different points of view from 'job lectures' at uni that I just don't know what to do to stand out.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Perfect!
    Here's your answer:
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Er . . . just how many Appointment panels for jobs in schools do you think I have been on in the last 20 years? Ditto your Uni lecturers?

Point made, I believe.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!