1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal reference

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Mar 14, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I am currently filling in an application to rent a house for the first time (I am finally growing up lol).

Who do I put as a personal reference? It says not to put a relative or employer. Could I put my best friend who I have known since I was 5?? Or I could put my boyfriend's Mum (but would this count as family?)

What do you think?

2. captain oats

3. y4me

y4me New commenter

I'm very surprised you aren't allowed an employer! I wonder why.....
    I would suggest a friend, clergyman (if applicable!), someone of professional standing who knows you, doctor (although you would have to pay for this), tutor, coach, ex teacher, local councillor (if applicable) neighbour etc....

4. captain oats

The employer is a separate reference. The reason why I have to provide a personal reference is because I have no previous landlord.

5. The personal reference is essentially a character reference saying what you are like and that you won't trash the place.
    When my partner and I applied to rent the flat we are in now, my personal reference was written by my god mother, who I see regularly and knows me well.
    My partners reference was written by my mum, as he was living with me at my mums for a while so she knew what he was like as a tenant so to speak.
    Hope this helps!