1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Reading in English

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by Fiona409, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am a secondary English teacher and there have been conflicting ideas concerning just how often pupils should be doing private reading in class.
    Some members of my department believe that pupils should only be reading during school time once a fortnight so that there is more time to produce essays.
    I would personally prefer my pupils to read once a week and focus more on their skills. The Curriculum for Excellence suggests that pupils should regularly read for enjoyment. So just how much is "regularly"? Any clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks
    F

2. Hi,
    I am a secondary English teacher and there have been conflicting ideas concerning just how often pupils should be doing private reading in class.
    Some members of my department believe that pupils should only be reading during school time once a fortnight so that there is more time to produce essays.
    I would personally prefer my pupils to read once a week and focus more on their skills. The Curriculum for Excellence suggests that pupils should regularly read for enjoyment. So just how much is "regularly"? Any clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks
    F

3. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

In a primary classroom most children will be encouraged to read for enjoyment every day, although I appreciate that may be more difficult in a secondary school setting for organisational reasons.
    A lot also depends on the nature of the child. Some can be very easily distracted, whilst others can become absorbed in a good book even in a busy classroom environment.
    Perhaps a key issue is whether they have access to a wide variety of reading materials, at their age and ability level, and with subject matter that interests them.
    At a time when children and young people are surrounded by technology, it's not at all easy getting them to develop the reading habit.

4. readaholic

readaholic New commenter

I think pupils should read for pleasure every day. 10 minutes at the start of the lesson and a fortnightly reading period when they can change their books.

I think the most important thing is that you (the teacher) are also reading for pleasure during this time. If you are marking jotters or trying to quickly take the register it doesn't work. Young people now hardly ever see people reading and we have to be their role model. It is also useful to informally discuss what you are reading and what they are reading.

I love reading time as I think it builds a real connection within the class probably because we are sharing what is, on the whole, a private past time.

Keep on reading! If we don't encourage it who will?