1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal Learning Checklists

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Robfreeman, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

PLC or as some places call them KPI I'm now in my 7th year of secondary in that time I've used them, seen them hell I've even wrote them.

I'm wondering something and I probably shouldn't. What on Earth is the point of them? The student ticks a box or shades in a box and wow they are showing self assesment against an objective they probably don't understand. I am open minded though and wish to be convinced.

Do you find these useful?
    Have so you employ them in your classrooms effectively?
    How are they effective?

If you don't use them would you?
    If you have stopped using them, why?

2. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

They are useful for practical subjects to show skills without me having to create and mark reams and reams of useless writing.... I teach 500 students per week so ticking a box is better than writing a statement!

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Sorry, not familiar with this. Who ticks the box, teacher or student?

4. Robfreeman

You print it, kid ticks which they have achieved, you check it to make sure its ticked and you agree with it. SLT check to make sure your checking is how when they are used in many schools they are checked. They will look at what objective the student says they have achieved and then match it to the work in the book to see if they agree.

*Other schools may differ im basing on the four ive seen them used in*

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You print it.
    Child puts folder in bag, desk file etc.
    Child ignores it.
    After child has done some learning tasks, you ask them to tick boxes.
    Child ignores it.
    You speak more assertive to child.
    Eventually child ticks random boxes.
    You take them all home and tick the boxes more accurately.

BetterNow, agathamorse, jusch and 3 others like this.
  6. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

Yes - pretty much as summarized by phlogiston. I have used them as a tool to show SLT / Ofsted etc that I am asking the students to be reflective, take ownership of their learning or understand their next achievement target. If no other adult was going to scrutinize my working practices apart from the students' final grades then I wouldn't use them. In most cases I don't think they really provide anything useful. Possibly they might have some use with an exam class as a diagnostic tool - ie ticking boxes to show which areas of the course you feel confident with.

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Try having to use these-and then get them to write out individual SMART targets and then tick them 'appropriately' each LESSON when quite a few of your students cannot speak English. You then end up wasting lots of time when you should be teaching. But the managers, who have few qualifications and don't teach, say Ofsted loves this...Even with very able top sets, I always found students didn't like doing it-one of my brightest boys said it was a waste of time and paper, and he and the teacher should know what he needed to do, as the teacher always marked his work,made comments and gave him a chance to discuss it.

8. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

I did this in the last few years of my career. I taught DT. We had a sheet with all the equipment a student would use over the year, from peelers in food to needles in textiles, to bigger machinery in RM, and a pic of each.

At the end of each lesson the student had to add anything they had used that was new to them, date it, and put the member of staffs initials (so we had evidence of who taught them to use what, just incase). We also used a smiley face confidence chart.... purely ticking a box to say how confident they felt using it. They could then update this confidence rating at a later date if /when they used that item again.

It took a couple of weeks, but once they were used to doing it, they did it automatically at the end of each lesson... well, the better kids did, the middle kids say the better ones doing it, so remembered, the lower ability needed much reminding...

9. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I do a similar thing at the end of a topic. I s
    I think you are missing the point. This tick list has nothing to do with teaching and learning. It is evidence gathering for the bean counters.

OFSTED has stated repeatedly that the only marking they want to see evidence of is the marking/feedback policy which the school states it has. Some schools have no marking policy at all. Teachers mark what they feel is necessary. And OFSTED are ok with this. Same with the whole 4 page lesson plan nonsense. I have been through a few OFSTEDs and offered every inspector a lesson plan. Not one has ever kept the lesson plan.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Having been slightly snarky and cynical in my previous post, with motivated pupils they can be good.
    A summary of specification points and a RAG is a good way of getting motivated kids to measure progress and for me to review what they have missed or not understood.

11. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

Edu-cak designed to keep teachers on the leash. Thank God I'm old.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. jusch

jusch New commenter

The problem with self-assessment sheets of any kind is their double purpose: They are meant to give the students an opportunity to reflect on their learning and do some metacognitive thinking about next steps, but they must also serve as evidence of learning and even evidence of metacognitive thinking, and the evidence character usually distracts from the thinking bit.
    Whenever my Year 7s are filling in (or struggling to fill in) these sheets, I walk around trying to help - unfortunately I rarely have exciting conversations about learning experiences and strategies, but both the students and I stress more about pen colour and what is meant to go where. A student could have the most amazing insight into their own learning, but as soon as I threaten to keep her back at lunch because she is not writing her thought down in the format SLT will understand, she understandably looses interest in doing any more actual thinking. As a consequence, most of us offer students examples of acceptable comments on the board, from which the students can pick one (often randomly), so they no longer have to bother with the thinking at all and can fully concentrate on finding the right pen and sticking the sheet in the correct place...

13. install

install Star commenter

Its most likely a form of desperation in some schools insisted upon by some distant slt. Possibly even a quick grab from a pixl resource bank imho.

14. Robfreeman

I want to engage with using them but I don't want them to be just a waste of time or disproportionate amounts of effort.

15. WB

WB Occasional commenter

This type of edubolloxs comes under the heading of:

We need to do something, this is something, let's do this.

It then gets pushed onto class teachers with no proof it will actually works.

Teacher's workload increases.
    No improvement in child's work.
    STL member claims success.
    Idea slowly dies death.

Next new idea slides in....