1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal comments from disruptive pupil

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by eirn, Mar 23, 2011.

1. I was hoping for some advice about how to deal with students who make personal comments. I'm originally from an area close to the school, which makes life more difficult. A family member took their own life a few months ago, and one student in particular makes frequent snide comments, and informs any students who didn’t already know, about the exact details of what happened. The student has learning and behaviour issues. He is suspended every other week. Detentions, etc., have no impact on his behaviour.
    I feel like I can’t bring this issue to the year head/principal, because I am newly qualified and relatively new to the school, at the moment I have no job security. I don’t want them to think that this problem, or what happened in my family, affects my ability to do my job. I also feel that if I was to try and discuss this directly that I would get upset, I find it almost impossible to discuss with anyone outside my family, or very close friends. It’s a tough enough school anyway, but I get on grand, or can implement proper discipline with my all of my other students.
    I work really hard, and spend hours preparing lessons that will be interesting and helpful, and really want my pupils to do well.
    90% of the kids are brilliant, I’ve never had a problem in work like this before, and I don’t know what to do. It’s really getting me down.

2. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

Of course you should bring this to the attention of the management. Because you're an NQT with no security doesn't mean they don't have a duty of care to you. What happened to your relative isn't affecting your ability to do the job, as your hard work testifies: it's affecting the behaviour of this pupil. That can be dealt with by the management.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If he so much as alludes to it again, you need to go back to the year head and principal immediately. Do not allow yourself to be treated in this way.

Not just for your own sake, but to model to your pupils how to deal with bullies. If you allow him to treat you badly then you show them that putting up with bullying is the way to go. Show them by everything you do that this is not the case. Keep making a fuss every time he even mentions anything personal or abusive. You have found your colleagues to be excellent, so continue to use them for support with this.

It will get easier, not better necessarily, just easier.