1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Personal collection of books for the classroom - do other's do this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MizUnderstood, Aug 13, 2012.

1. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I am a true enthusiast of books and their 'power' to engage, enthuse and educate (I didn't purposefully use alliteration there for effect and now I can't think of other words to use!!), people only have to walk into my house to realise this as every room (bar the kitchen and bathroom) plus the hallway and landing have books shelves that hold hundreds and hundreds of books, fiction and non-fiction about all sorts of different things, I think every topic is covered!
    I've also bought lots of books for my own classroom collection, but just wanted to get a straw poll of what other people do. Is it excessive for me to have my own personal collection of around 200 books in my classroom? Many of these are books that my own children have grown out of or no longer use and I want them to go to good use.
    I'm not precious about them, I know books aren't always treated kindly by some children, and as long as the pages aren't folded over in the corners I can cope with normal wear and tear, but I really want my class to be able to look for the answers themselves without having to rely on me, log on to a computer or pop down to the library, I want them to know about the richness of books, and how good it feels to be able to grab a book and find an answer instead of just believing everything the teacher tells you, or relying on the internet.
    So I suppose the point I am getting to is...how many 'personal' books do other people keep in their classroom?

2. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I am a true enthusiast of books and their 'power' to engage, enthuse and educate (I didn't purposefully use alliteration there for effect and now I can't think of other words to use!!), people only have to walk into my house to realise this as every room (bar the kitchen and bathroom) plus the hallway and landing have books shelves that hold hundreds and hundreds of books, fiction and non-fiction about all sorts of different things, I think every topic is covered!
    I've also bought lots of books for my own classroom collection, but just wanted to get a straw poll of what other people do. Is it excessive for me to have my own personal collection of around 200 books in my classroom? Many of these are books that my own children have grown out of or no longer use and I want them to go to good use.
    I'm not precious about them, I know books aren't always treated kindly by some children, and as long as the pages aren't folded over in the corners I can cope with normal wear and tear, but I really want my class to be able to look for the answers themselves without having to rely on me, log on to a computer or pop down to the library, I want them to know about the richness of books, and how good it feels to be able to grab a book and find an answer instead of just believing everything the teacher tells you, or relying on the internet.
    So I suppose the point I am getting to is...how many 'personal' books do other people keep in their classroom?