1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

personal and opinion

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Jun 14, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

It's all of a bit of a hotchpotch at the moment. I might write one post about my toenail fungus and then another about the relevance of Hobbes, Hume and Locke to modern politics. Both are equally valid.

Any chance of bringing back Opinion?

BelleDuJour, nomad and towncryer like this.
  2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Eff me! I was just eating lasagne when I read that!

les25paul, nomad, needabreak and 4 others like this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Sorry, Dunty. Let me try again: I might write one post about the state of my sweet peas and another about rural bus services.

4. Dunteachin

That's better!

And I've just fired off an email to my local MP. I have never, ever become involved in local politics, but moves are afoot in my neighbourhood, and I don't like it!

I shall, literally, chain myself to a tree if the Council do what I think they're going to...

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Round here, theyre wanting to turn Lawnswood roundabout (large; on the test route because it is scary) into an American-style intersection, necessitating the removal of of 40-odd mature trees.
    Yeh i geddit about the trees but my real issue is what difference it's going to make to traffic flow. In 3 out of 4 directions, you leave the two-lane 40-70mph approach and within half a mile are funnelled into a one lane loadsa right turns bottleneck.
    But the trees are the the thing that's caught the public attention. So i might have to chain myself to one just to stop the council wasting a shedload of money on something that will, imo, do very little good.

jellycowfish and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Dunteachin

Indeed. It's not the trees. I think they're going to build a cycle lane down this 2mile stretch of road. Very few cyclists come down here. It will mean the destruction of grass verges and trees, and will change the whole landscape. For no good reason.

I'm not having it!

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is it a foot with toenail fungus? The best way to cure that is to convert it to metric. 304.8mm.

The trouble with the British is they've never been able or willing to master foreign lingo. I recall an occasion when I was in a supermarket and a sveldt manager standing next to the bacon slicer said she was doing a survey of customer opinions on how well the introduction of continental foods would be received by the british market. A specific question asked whether I would like to have lardons in that store.

I had to be honest and tell her that although I was getting significant and uncontrollable twitches in the downstairs department when I talked to her, they went away as soon as I looked at her fat mate, the bacon slicer.

Had I known back in 1973 that lardons were a way that foreigners chopped bacon up and a lardon had nothing to do with sexual attraction to plump women, who can tell how the contributions to that survey might have changed British politics?

8. Aquamarina1234

If only I didnt even believe that was true, DoY...

nizebaby and Duke of York like this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Though MrAqua did sweetly enquire why I was buying pancetta at Morrisons instead of their half-the-price chopped smoked bacon. To be honest ...

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

When in France Mrs B and I always dissolve into giggles when we see a pack of 'lardons'!

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You will probably lose. They do not give monkeys once they think its a good idea. I have long protested are the cycle lanes being built into main roads are a waste of money. So the new lanes they built on either side of the main roads now mean one bus stopping on one side stops the main road, where before one went around the outside. Because of the cycle lanes, you cannot now park by the side of the road except in a few parking bays, and they are being eroded. If it a just lane in the road they have double yellow lined the road, with kerb slashes which means no parking at any time On some.were cars that used to park at night to go to local shops and restaurants cannot do so and if you park on a cycle lane you get an automatic fine of £120. Plus now the shops that survived on trade at night cant have cars stopping and there are not enough parking places (if you can find one) which eventually means the death of many shops as there is not enough foot traffic to give them a lot of customers. Already on such roads, I have noticed quite a few shops closing down. Not that the council seems to worry. Then again we do have a cycling fanatic pushing the ideas.

Dunteachin likes this.
  12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Opinion or personal? I suppose the posts are mostly expressing opinions.

Any other ideas on this?

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We were told in no uncertain terms.

Our political squabbles risked bringing the profession into disrepute. We were incapable of expressing ourselves within the terms and conditions and were sent to bed without any supper.

You're welcome to my personal opinions on anything from period pain to political chicanery, from perfidious partners to the prospective price of pharmaceuticals post-Brexit.

Bring it on.

knitone and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

They did away with opinion because it got too shouty and insulty and maybe did not agree with the political ethos of the owners. We don't do that on here ;). TES changes hands every few months, and then there is a bunch of bright new things introducing themselves only to be ground down by the cynicism and curmudgeonliness (is that a word?) of the grumpy old buffers and blue rinse cat matrons on here (who are surprisingly clued up and sharp). If you want soshul meeja you are supposed to go elsewhere.

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. Dunteachin

An informative post, Oldy. Worse than I thought!
    There will only be room for one cycle lane on the grass verge side of the road, so what's the point?
    It's a tree lined, residential main road - no shops or businesses to affect. People do park on it, which is a nuisance when getting off the drive; restricting that will be the only upside.

Are the council so awash with money that they have it to waste?

I shall await a reply from the young MP. Surely he will know.

16. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I wonder how that move worked for them? Where shall we go when they shut down Personal for the same reasons? I vote for Whole School Assemblies. I don’t suppose that gets a huge amount of traffic at the moment.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  17. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

How embarrassing. It’s Whole School Assessment, not Assemblies. :oops: And all these years I have just scrolled past it and thought ‘Why?’
    Like Gove, I deeply, deeply regret my mistake.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I quite like the mix the threads on here,even though there are actually less fluffy (clothes/make-up threads nowadays).

19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Kapok to that!

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[Sigh...]

Toenails again!

colpee likes this.