1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

**Perseid meteor shower tonight from 11pm**

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

It coincides with the new moon, which is unusual but should make it even more spectacular: in some areas, up to 100 meteors could be seen at once. Will be watching the sky carefully, although it's a little overcast here at the moment.

2. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

I hadn't been aware of this prior to this evening, but went to an outdoor cinema event in my local park. Was enjoying the film, and then got a bigger, even more pretty surprise in the form of a few shooting stars coming down from the sky. Was lovely to see.

3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Just seen two...will go out later, the best ones come out to play much later

4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Have seen a couple of little ones...nothing spectacular yet but will keep looking.

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I've seen one. Just a quick flash, but very rewarding as, down here in the SW, we were supposed to have cloudy skies.

6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I'm also in the SW - it's clearing a bit now as the wind is building. Might stay up a bit longer...

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I photographed one passing Cassiopiea around 0:29 which was so bright it left a luminous smoke trail in the atmosphere which took some seconds to fade away.

Unfortunately this forum won't let me link to the image. Ho hum.

8. I gawped up for about twenty minutes at 1-ish and saw nothing at all.

I want my money back.

9. tidal

tidal New commenter

I saw a couple of fairly faint ones last night but we're completely socked in tonight

I miss the wide skies and lack of light pollution I had in Spain [​IMG]