1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permutations

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There is probably some silly rule that says one lottery ticket can only have one win, but supposing there ain't? If all six of my numbers come up tonight, how many combinations of winning numbers did I ought to point out I was owed? And how many free goes can I claim for the next draw?

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I don't know, but I'll bet there are a good few lawyers who would like to help you spend your millions finding out!

image.jpeg

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That's one for the mathematicians.

Of which I ain't one.

4. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

O level maths question

5. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Six numbers: 720 permutations.

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

It's early but I reckon there are just 15 combinations of 2 numbers, 10 of 3, 6 of 4, 3 of 5. Did I forget something?

But I imagine the rules say only the highest prize wins.

7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If you had to get the ORDER as well as the numbers correct, you would have a less than one in a billion chance of winning!

Your question does raise an interesting point. What if, for some reason, the prize one week was not much higher for 4 numbers than 3 and you had 4 numbers. It might be worth saying you had 4 permutations of 3 numbers................

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

An appropriate one to ask teachers of O level maths then.

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Save your money.