1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permit me to scream about agencies (and yes it's just a highly unproductive rant)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MisterFlibble, Dec 8, 2011.

1. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWAAAAUUUUGUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    I hate them I hate them I hate them I hate them!!!!!

World's snottiest cow rings me last week demanding new references - told her there and then I have issues since (the reason I ain't worked for 3 months is them not finding me any anyway) one very unobligingly died this year, and the other, my other agency isn't likely to cooperate since I'm resisting their bullying to work for free... after her yelling at me and being utterly incredibly rude, we came to the conclusion that taking me off their books would have to be the way forward, and she slammed the phone down on me. Was very very upset at the time about it all - because I feel incredibly useless and a burden to hubby with the fact that supply's gone up the brown smelly creek without a paddle this year.
    Today - same aforementioned world's snottiest cow sends me the "your CRB is due to expire" mail. Now, considering last week we'd agreed that I was going to be off their books - I'm cross. I don't generally mind re-doing CRBs - fact of life for supplies, but the fact that they just don't blooming well listen. As it is, financially it's probably not worth me paying out for a new one for this bunch since it runs out in January - and I'll be the size of a small whale by May and having the baby anyway - and since we've had so little in the way of supply, we're having to seriously consider if it's worth getting the old tincan I run around in and laughably refer to as a car through its MOT in February anyway since it's not earning its keep running me to work bookings anymore.
    They just don't listen, they just don't think, they just don't give a stuff!
    Then to add to it all, just as I'd picked that email up, with steam freshly coming out of my ears and returning home after walking the dog - the lock on the back gate failed and I ended up locked out of the house (I don't carry a front door key around with me since we need to get a new one cut)! I'm blaming the evil agency for that one as well - just because I'm irked and I feel the need to!
    May they all descend into the firey pits of hell where they have to listen to Slade on an eternal loop from January through to November (they can have the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls for all of December because they ain't having festive cheer!) while having every hair on their body removed slowly and ineptly with a pair of tweezers!

2. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWAAAAUUUUGUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    I hate them I hate them I hate them I hate them!!!!!

World's snottiest cow rings me last week demanding new references - told her there and then I have issues since (the reason I ain't worked for 3 months is them not finding me any anyway) one very unobligingly died this year, and the other, my other agency isn't likely to cooperate since I'm resisting their bullying to work for free... after her yelling at me and being utterly incredibly rude, we came to the conclusion that taking me off their books would have to be the way forward, and she slammed the phone down on me. Was very very upset at the time about it all - because I feel incredibly useless and a burden to hubby with the fact that supply's gone up the brown smelly creek without a paddle this year.
    Today - same aforementioned world's snottiest cow sends me the "your CRB is due to expire" mail. Now, considering last week we'd agreed that I was going to be off their books - I'm cross. I don't generally mind re-doing CRBs - fact of life for supplies, but the fact that they just don't blooming well listen. As it is, financially it's probably not worth me paying out for a new one for this bunch since it runs out in January - and I'll be the size of a small whale by May and having the baby anyway - and since we've had so little in the way of supply, we're having to seriously consider if it's worth getting the old tincan I run around in and laughably refer to as a car through its MOT in February anyway since it's not earning its keep running me to work bookings anymore.
    They just don't listen, they just don't think, they just don't give a stuff!
    Then to add to it all, just as I'd picked that email up, with steam freshly coming out of my ears and returning home after walking the dog - the lock on the back gate failed and I ended up locked out of the house (I don't carry a front door key around with me since we need to get a new one cut)! I'm blaming the evil agency for that one as well - just because I'm irked and I feel the need to!
    May they all descend into the firey pits of hell where they have to listen to Slade on an eternal loop from January through to November (they can have the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls for all of December because they ain't having festive cheer!) while having every hair on their body removed slowly and ineptly with a pair of tweezers!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, you do sound frustrated Misterfibble!
    Hopefully you feel better after that tirade? At least it's here and not at hubby/OH and yes those hormones will be playing havoc with those emotions, especially with a history like yours!
    So here's a little target practice you can print out, having put the appropriate photos in!
    [​IMG]

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Did you work and pay NI in the 2008-09 and 2009-2010 tax years? If so, make a JSA Contributory claim (phone or on-line ) and you should get £67-45 per week if you are aged 25yrs +. You would then be moved onto a maternity benefot at a certain point in your pregnancy.
    When you get your Jobcentre interview, resist them putting it on your jobsearch that you have to register with new agencies. Tell them that you can't afford to shell out for CRBs with no guarantee of any work being generated.
    They will ask about your last work. mention the agency employer and give as a reason for the work ceasing that it was a temporary placement.
    I've virtually decided to give up on supply work now. I won't take the CS one and two hour books they keep trying to persuade me to do 'as a favour!' and I keep insisting that I'll only ever take teaching days or part days. Result= zilch.
    I'm 58 now and may take my meagre pension early simply to have £2k per year, or thereabouts, coming in. I'm holding fire at the minute because I may end up caring for my motehr-in-law from jan/Feb when she starts yet anotehr chemotherapy at age 87! I would at least get about £55 in Carer's allowance. I'm checking into whether my pension is low enough to be bale to receive Carer's Allowance at the same time.

5. Hi Misterfibble,
    You sound as if you have had a sh-i-te day. Pour yourself a glass of something nice or settle in a warm bath and think, in the words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day!". There is a good Amish programme on today which I am really enjoying..
    You don't need so-called self-professed "consultants" making you feel small or putting the phone down. I would be tempted to write to their manager so that they get "eins auf dem Kopf!". Little upstart!
    Life can only get better..[​IMG]

6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I know it's of no comfort to you, MF, but your post and similar posted by others, make me really appreciate my agency. One the one occasion they offered me work on CS rate, they were so appolegetic about it. I took it but said, 'Just this once....' and they accepted it.
    Now, think about your wee one. Have a soothing bath then curl up with some guilty pleasure TV or magazine; go easy on the wine!!
    Take care of yourself.

7. Yep the agency CRB and reference thing is infringing on our Human Rights to Work. However I will enjoy the Amish programme on telly later.
    A simple Amish life, no crazy electronic agencies and electronic schools.
    I want to give up 'I Robot', Do some make do and mend, I simply can't see my car handling another MOT. Without the wheels I can't see a hope in hell any more.
    Fuel poverty for Christmas but hey I am a tough dude. Had a coupla days work and ask backs recently , but the writing is clearly on the world.
    Teacher left a lesson a plan yesterday. with 'Sorry I do not know the page number', (written on the note) for the text book the teacher forgot to name.
    When I am gone it is for thehe Cover supervisors to sort out.
    At least they can't blame the supply!
    Although schools will even if we are not in!

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

And whats wrong with Slade?

9. MisterFlibble - how you've been treated is nothing short of disgraceful. It just shows how low agencies will stoop sometimes.
    Could you try to register to do some exam marking or tutoring, just to keep a hand in while you are pregnant?
    Try not to stress too much - think about your baby. Maybe throw a few things around to release some tension.

10. ...this is typical I am afraid. Other posts, including the one reference "Worst Agencies" on this forum pretty much in a nutshell display how many agencies have no idea on how to treat professionals.
    ...all we want is a fair crack at the whip and we get is a bunch of ***!! and jobsworths. Sorry you have had a tough time with agency...dont suppose you want to mention them...?

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

PLEASE DON'T
    Rememeber the warning at the top of the thread References to individuals, schools or organisations will be deleted - could be libellous.

12. Mr Fibble, rest easy in the knowledge that these useless agencies and their 'staff' will get exactly what they deserve.

13. Well, I have been crying this afternoon out of pure frustration and anger[​IMG]
    I had one of my agencies phone me and because the line was bad I couldnt really hear her.She was a person I don't think I have dealt with before and it was the agency I had held out quite high hopes for but they haven't found me any work. Anyway, she had a job for me next week, all week and it was a nursery position.These jobs, well for me, have been very scarce so I was interested.She was waffling on about having taken over the boroughs I had said I wanted to work in but the job, I later found was in a neighbouring borough. . . a much neighbouring borough.I found her to be pressurising me to accept as she said she had the nursery on the other line.I said yes in all faith thinking I could do the job.I got off the phone and then had a think about it. I was told I had to be there for 8.30 but my childminder didn't take children until 7.30.She lives away from the station and closer to my son's school.I thought perhaps she would make an exception for me just for the week as she knows my position.I rang her, she said no, I am fine about this, I understand.
    If I were to drop him for 7.30, get back in car, drive in general direction of station but not park in station car park as that would accrue more money in tickets for day, then get to station to get 2 trains and then a 10 min walk the other side, I knew realistically I just couldn't do it.I wanted to do it as I had heard of the nursery and it was one I had wanted to go to/work in.
    With a very heavy and apologetic heart I phoned the agency back and explained why I couldn't take the job and she was so horrible to me.I did feel bad as she had put me forward to the school as the named person they would be seeing on monday[​IMG] Like I said, tears of flaming frustration.Having to turn down work makes me feel proper sh*te.I know someone else will have it so that is good, a teacher getting paid a teachers rate but now I feel I have a post it on my file labelled troublemaker or somesuch and I won't get any work from them.