1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permission to retire ?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by littlevanner, Aug 15, 2019.

1. littlevanner

littlevanner New commenter

I have read in a couple of other posts that if you seek to retire and draw your pension early ,before NPA, you must ask the permission of the LA. Is this correct and are there any instances of it being refused and if so for what reasons?
    Thanks in advance - it’s really appreciated

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I didn't... I simply handed my form in to the school I was working at and they forwarded to to the LA.

But, if worried, maybe contact the TPS? (Having looked first at their website to see if this point is answered.)

littlevanner likes this.
  3. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Technically yes, you do have to make a request. I, and everyone else I know just wrote a letter to the Head teacher informing him/her of our intention to retire. In any case, it cannot be refused if you are 55 or over . They can delay it for six months apparently, though. I suppose this is so schools can find replacements in extremis and covers the notification period required of head teachers. I have never heard of it being delayed

emerald52 and littlevanner like this.
  4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Yes, but as Elje says, by six months.

I retired early, and asked my head if this would be refused by the MAT. He said this was unlikely as long as it didn’t impact badly on the school.
    So with plenty of notice - or going as I did in in August, I can’t see why there would be a problem.

I know of people who retired at half-term with no issue - I guess because the school had time to prepare.

Edit: of course had there been a problem, I could have resigned on an appropriate resignation date and applied for pension after that, when I was no longer employed . ( this might have meant a shortish delay in getting pension though) But as else someone said. Check with TPS especially this last point.

Startedin82 and littlevanner like this.
  5. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

It is only required if you are still in employment - and as everyone else has said it's generally a mere technicality.

littlevanner likes this.
  6. littlevanner

Great thank you.
    I am the head so will presumably tell the Chair of Governors and LA when I put formal notice in next term, though I told Chair informally last term that this would be my last year as I want them to have as much notice as possible to sort the replacement out, having been there so long.

emerald52 and eljefeb90 like this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I gave more than six months notice for AAB pension to be sure and requested a reply in writing from my chair of governors as I was the head. When I later applied to TPS they requested confirmation of the resignation from the LA. The LA asked the school(me) to confirm this. I sent them copies of my resignation letter and the chair’s reply. Otherwise, I think there was a form they wanted signing.

littlevanner likes this.
  8. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

To be clear, they can stall your pension by six months. You can leave when you want, subject to the terms of your contract relating to length of notice.

The earliest you can apply for your pension at 55 is when you’re 54 and 6 months.

The logical approach would appear to be to let them have your notice 6 months before your 55th birthday. Whether they could then delay the pension until you’re 55 1/2, I wouldn’t like to say.

littlevanner likes this.
  9. littlevanner

Thank you for all your advice, I will ensure all paperwork is complete by February

10. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

My understanding is that, yes, permission to retire early has to be sought from the Governors. They can refuse - but only the once. This begs the question why would they refuse?

You could do what I did. I resigned my post at Easter aged 59 and then applied for my pension. I was classed as an "out of service" member. No request had to be made of anyone.