1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanently closed?

Discussion in 'News' started by blahblahblah, Aug 4, 2020.

1. blahblahblah

blahblahblah New commenter

With lots of reports of schools looking forward to reopening in September. Is anyone aware of any that have had to close permanently as a result of the virus?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't suppose Silverhill will be the only private school to close although I've not heard of others. I assume @blahblahblah is asking about private schools not state schools.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Didn't Boris Johnson's prep school close?

5. Rott Weiler

agathamorse likes this.
  6. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

SO will these children go to other private schools? Or will they enroll in the state system?
    Either way, schools which are already struggling to accommodate the students they already have in spaces which aren't big enough for proper distancing will have to deal with the fallout.

It's fitting though that Boris Johnson's prep school should be in it for the thick but not the thin, quitting when the going gets tough.

7. Manolos

Manolos New commenter

The track and trace NHS is not up and running and they still want to reopen schools......

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

York Minster Prep has closed permanently.
    HawleyHurst school closed in April
    Ashdown House (The pm's school already mentioned above) has closed

I know of two others (both all through schools and not small) who are consulting on widespread redundancies...but know this via union rep groups, so it's a bit mean to add their names here.

I imagine there are other very small preps that are closing that no one other than the parents will have heard of. On 6th June the Telegraph reported that 'As many as 30 British private schools are preparing to close due to the coronavirus pandemic' but doesn't name them.

Many private pre-schools and nurseries are also closing...google can help you find an extensive list.

Possibly good news for those struggling but able to weather the storm as they may get some of the extra pupils.

Some pupils will go to other private schools and some to the state sector. Other children are leaving private for state, even though their previous school isn't closing.

Appalling situation for the staff made redundant...there may not be the money to give them a decent package and private school staff are generally more experienced and so more expensive when applying for jobs elsewhere. Not to mention that many other schools are struggling and so not taking on staff.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

10. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

They probably don't work in them.

11. TrueFaith

TrueFaith Occasional commenter

A private school on Wirral has closed - Kingsmead School announced it would be closing at the end of the academic year in June.

12. Manolos

Manolos New commenter

Do you think? I am very sceptical of this track and trace

13. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Knowing the town, The Park is no great loss in itself (always pretty mediocre academically) but obviously not good at all for either staff or students.

14. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Probably one of the more stupid comments to be seen on here this year; a completely illogical and irrational post made simply to have a go at a politician the poster dislikes.

If they haven't got any money they have to shut, just like any other business. You can't just go on racking up debts that you won't be able to cover, as that leaves suppliers vulnerable, as anyone with any experience of business will know.

15. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

I work in a small, independent, primary, before Covid we had 100 children. We are hanging on by our fingertips, only 5 new reception children coming into school in September, one teacher made redundant as a result. Our biggest class was year 6 & they have now left so we are down to 85 children :(

16. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Indeed it is illegal to continue to trade while insolvent.

17. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

I am aware of large numbers of redundancies in some state schools

18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have a similar number in September.
    Fortunately nursery and reception are looking healthy number-wise, but some of the older classes are tiny.
    No redundancies yet, but we aren't replacing staff who have left and aren't appointing where we have gaps.

19. Rott Weiler

Because of coronavirus?

20. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

yes, because of budgets and expenses and stuff,