1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent to temp contract after mat leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by minxyfish, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Hi all, I'm currently on a full time, permanent contract and am on mat leave. Last week, I had a meeting with the principal to discuss my request to return part time. I was very nicely surprised when she said yes, considering the current gloom and doom climate at my college, with cuts and redundancies looming. However, this is on the condition that it's a 12 month temp contract (starting 1st Sep), to be reviewed in the summer term to see if it has worked.
    My department was always full timers until 18 months ago when a colleague came back after her mat leave and was granted a permanent part time contract. A second colleague returned after xmas but has had to give up her perm contract to accept a temp part time one, to be reviewed near the end of the contract, at the end of summer term. And now they've offered me the same.
    Also, I was told (I think) that the college is starting to only grant flexible reduction in hours contracts, which I understood to be anything between 0.2 and 0.8. So, although they've said yes to my returning on 0.5 initially, they have the right to ask me to do 0.3 or 0.7, for example, the following year if that is best for the college.
    I think you'll tell me that they can indeed do this, but I guess I feel that it's a bit unfair that one of us got permanent, yet my colleague and I got temp contracts. Also, I'm not clear about what happens if our change in hours is deemed 'unsuccessful' - do we revert back to our original perm/ft contracts or do we have to leave?! Or will they implement this flexible contract thing?
    Has anyone been in a similar position?
    Thanks x

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

This needs individualised union advice

3. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Indeed it does. However,if OP was a colleague and we were chatting in the staffroom,I would tell her to be very careful of changing from a permanent contract to a temporaryy one. Not sure how it works down south but in Scotland,such a move would be crazy.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It could be a confusion between a temporary contract, and a temporary change to a permanent contract -both of which are possible. Hence my advice.

5. Hello again,
    Well, I still don't know if they've offered me a temp reduction in hours for the year, or just a brand new temp contract (I suspect the latter) as they haven't yet sent a new contract to me.
    Before I write an email to HR, does anyone know if there is a time limit in which they have to do this? They were quick to arrange the meeting after receiving my request, but it's now been over three weeks since the meeting and I haven't heard a thing.
    Thanks x