1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent teaching post

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Faldamir12, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Dear all,
    I am an NQT in secondary education currently employed in a faith school. My contract is due to come to an end later this year although a permanent position will be advertised internally (which affects 2 of us as we are both on temp contracts).

My question is how much does an internal application differ to an outside one in terms of what I should be writing? Should it be the same in length and can I mention things I have done outside of my subject area (e.g. extra curricular activities) and in doing so do I have to provide some sort of proof?

Many thanks

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A mistake that internal candidates often make is to soft pedal on applications. You should approach this with the same rigour as if you were an external candidate applying to the school. do use your insider knowledge to emphasise the areas of priority the school have identified.

3. My advice always is to treat an internal application as if it were an external one. Make no assumptions about what they may 'know' about you. Put as much effort into it as you would an application to another school.
    James

4. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Thank you for all of your help.

As it is an internal application I assume no references etc will be required, just the application?

Any advice on the length of the application - I have narrowed this down to a side and a half of A4, hope it's not too much! =)

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Assume nothing provide referees as you would any other post