1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent post through an agency

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by smeldred, Nov 16, 2018.

1. smeldred

smeldred New commenter

Hi
    I work 3 days a week and am looking for a new job but struggling. Having been in same post for 11 years I've decided to try some supply work on my days off to get experience of other schools and also in the hope it may lead to a new job. Could anyone share any experience of doing this themselves? Has anyone got a permanent post through an agency? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting permanent work through an agency?? Many thanks for any feedback

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

No I haven't but I don't even want to try.

You won't get the permanent post through the agency as such. You'll get the gig from being the bee's-knees at the school and the school will be so impressed with you that they'll ask you if you want to be on a permanent contract. Then the agency, which has probably been invisible since you walked into the school will suddenly bob-up and demand a finders' fee. Fortunately that will be the school's problem in that they'll negotiate it but several thousand pounds is quite a disincentive for the school to employ you in the first place.

The most likely outcome is that the school and you will coast along without bothering each other, assuming you're good they won't want to rock the boat. If you want an outcome then start pushing for it once you identify the major players to promote yourself with.
    "The way to win a medal is to act when the general is watching"

agathamorse likes this.
  3. dddd1

dddd1 New commenter

Sorry for the late reply but better late than never. I started my NQT year as a supply teacher on a fixed term contract with the "promise" to be made permanent if I did well. The school was supposed to make me permanent after one term. When the term ended they said they were very happy with me but wanted to keep on supply contract the reason being that they'd have to pay the agency £3000 to buy me off. After a bit of digging into their correspondence with the agency I found out that was true. The agency's terms with them were, pay £3000 after one term, £1500 after two terms and £0 after three terms to buy me off.
    I never knew about this from my end of the contract with the agency. I suspect this is quite common, so check the terms of the agency.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There are finders fees for teachers via agencies they are commercial organizations after all. It depends upon how much the school want you after their experience of you

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I have done this twice

The first was meant to be a term as an nqt the school took a chance and offered me an nqt contract and paid my release fee. I spent four years there the first three were great in the fourth it was different and I left I think I just changed.

Then I went on supply for a term asked for the toughest possible school I could get to whilst there my agency asked if I wanted a job at a school near me went there and interviewed got offered the job on the spot it was a lovely little school.

Sadly there was a change in ht and hod before I started and it was a very different school I was there first physics teacher in 11 years I left at easter.

Supply offers you the chance to see many school for what they are not what you get on the polished tour. The supply agencies usually do the jobs where school don't always have optimum ability to recruit. However with supply you develop a very unique skill set that can be really useful to those types of schools. Agencies tend to be very honest about the schools to and don't want you to leave straight away as they won't get the release fee. Its in their interest to suit you to a school.

My first school I should have hated on paper but my agency knew me and where I thrived because I'm a bit different.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I joined an agency when I was job searching. The very first job they found for me was perfect for me. Agency told me I would be supply until Christmas then possibly permanent if school liked me. I went for the interview and was offered permanent position then and there! Agency had to be paid 'finder's fee'.

agathamorse likes this.