1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent Job Panic

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Chanteuse, May 18, 2016.

1. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

Hi all,

New here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I am in the final stages of my secondary PGCE and although at times it's been stressful, I'm really enjoying teaching. However, I'm starting to panic a lot about not having a permanent job to start in September, especially as lots of my peers have been employed. It's not for a lack of trying - been to two interviews where both times the job was given to a more experienced candidate, which is fair enough. Furthermore, my past three observations have been given 'outstanding'. Although I'm not willing to move out of the North West of England (family ties), I would be more than willing to travel by public transport each day until I pass my driving test.

Is it true that a lot of jobs will be advertised from 31st May? I've registered with an agency just in case, but would really prefer a permanent post; somewhere I can settle in to give me the best chance at a successful NQT year.

I'd be really grateful for any input...

Samantha

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, no, stop panicking! :)

Yes, other people are getting jobs. In fact, people already in permanent posts in schools are ALSO getting jobs - there's a rush to hold interviews before the 31 May deadline.

And when they get their new jobs, yes, there will be more vacancies.

In fact jobs can crop up at any time. Due to unusual, tragic, circumstances, I once had to advertise in August, interviewed in GCSE results week, and appointed a fantastic NQT - Heavens knows why she hadn't been snapped up much earlier! Her career has gone from strength to strength since then.

So no panic. make sure you get details of all the jobs.

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

Make sure that you are ready for when a job advert comes up

Get ready for the application season

And if you haven't found all the other applications advice articles, tag me @TheoGriff to be shown where they are.

Best wishes

bob79 likes this.
  3. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

@TheoGriff thankyou so much for the reassurance! I feel much better now.