1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent job. Internal candidate. External advertisement

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, Apr 13, 2011.

1. HellO everyone, nearly Easter. I had done good and bad news today. I am on a temporary contract and the head informed me that a permanent job wad available. He strongly encouraged me to apply. However, a bombshell was dropped when he told me he also advertised the job externally. I am really worried I will not get the job and why it has been advertised externally. Any thoughts?

2. HellO everyone, nearly Easter. I had done good and bad news today. I am on a temporary contract and the head informed me that a permanent job wad available. He strongly encouraged me to apply. However, a bombshell was dropped when he told me he also advertised the job externally. I am really worried I will not get the job and why it has been advertised externally. Any thoughts?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You might or you might not. If you don't apply, you definitely won't. If do you apply you are in a good position.

It has probably been advertised just to see what is out there. A good NQT will be cheaper and so an attractive proposition. However make you application amazing and they'll pay the extra for you.

Definitely apply, you'll always wonder otherwise. But do the application as if you had never been near the school. Don't assume they know anything at all. Follow all the advice on the jobseekers forum here and go for it.

Best of Luck.

4. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the school has to advertise externally. I don't think you can just hand over a permanent role without advertising - even if they have you penciled in for the job!

5. Thank you for your lovely comments. I am comPleting my nqt year there now so I am relatively cheap already I wi apply and keep u posted.

6. Schools don't have to advertise class teacher vacancies, but most do now to see who's out there and get the best/ cheapest they can. I am in the same boat at my current school.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

School's dopn't have to advertise but most do.
    It's not necessarily about the cost (although it has to be taken into consideration) but an M2 is actually cheaper than an M! - yes you get paid less, but the school doesn't have to pay for the additional release time which is a legal requirement for NQT.
    The cost of releasing you for an extra half day a week is around £5,000 in supply costs. On top of that the school will have to release your mentor at regular intervals so there is also an additional cost there.

M2 actually works out at a few thousand cheaper to the school than M1 when those costs are taken into consideration.

School's usually advertise to ensure that they are getting the best possible candidate for the job, which is essentially what every school wants (but obviously they need to be able to afford to pay you, so yes, once you go further up the scale, onto UPS, it may be taken into consideration if budgets are tight).
    Treat it as if you are an external candidate - don't presume they know stuff about you (many of the governors won't) write a cracking application and you're in with as much chance as anyone else.
    Good luck!

8. I didn't ever think of that! Learn something new every day.

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I thought the NQT release costs were met by some other body. LEA, GTC or some such like. May be wrong but I don't think the costs have to be met by the school

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We currently receive an NQT allowance from the LEA to pay cover for NQT time out of the class, £3,600 last year for our NQT. We have another NQT starting after the holidays but we're not sure whether funding will continue or it will fall victim to the cuts

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It may be LA specific then.
    When I qualified back in the dark ages there wasn't the requirement to have the additional non contact time, when they brought it in they gave an allowance in my LA for a year but withdrew it after the first year. When I moved LAs to a different authority they did not provide any additional funding either.

So it would depend on how much the LA top slice and whether they keep this back as an allowance.
    Having said that £3,600 still wouldn't cover an addition 0.5 non contact time every week plus release time for mentor.
    I'd certainly rather have M2 than M1 as it either costs me a lot of cash, or means I have to teach an additional 0.5 each week on top of an already hectic schedule.

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I think it certainly is a local payment, as we also receive a "Threshold Allowance too, which goes someway towards covering the additional costs of UPS!

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We had that when threshold was first introduced but haven't had it now for at least 6 years.

I'd be really interested to know how much your authority top slices.
    What are they like as an LA in general?
    Mine are really good, very supportive, but one of the most poorly funded in the country, which means that my pupils are worth less than half of what they'd be worth if they were in Westminster.

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Not sure of the full figures, our DSG for this year is just over £4000. I wouldn't call them supportive, but they do have a "hands off" role which means not too much interference!

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Same here, but they topslice plenty.

AWPN multiplier is just £2k, I know in some authorities it's more than 4, doesn't seem fair really.

16. This is an interesting ne,