1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent in 2 schools?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by early learning, May 23, 2011.

1. I was just wondering, is it possible to be permanent in two schools? If I had a pointage split of say 0.6 in 1 school and 0.4 in another, and presuming that the days didn't clash, could I legally do this?
    I know this is possible on a temporary basis and have done this myself, but on a permanent basis?
    I really would prefer to be in one school only and I am frantically looking for legislation to help me. Surely head teachers do not want someone in their school who in this circumstance would not be able to commit 100% to one school or the other.

2. I do know of a precedent for this, so I'd say yes, it is possible. A friend of mine held the HT relief positions in two schools.

3. Yes I have done it - for two years in fact. I worked Mon,Thurs, Fri in one and Tues, Weds in the other. the only problem was that when I asked to have a single contract the LA refused. However I did have two permanent part time contracts and worked full time. It did stand me in good stead when I had a variety of stories to tell at interview for my current single full time contract.
    You will be committed to both schools but only on the days you work there.
    Good luck - you'll learn loads.

4. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

As your contract is with the LA employer rather than the school, I can't see a problem with that.
    If both schools are in the same LA, you may be able, at some point, to ask for your two part-time permanent contracts to be altered to a full time permanent contract in one or other school, or even in a different school.
    Also, remember a part-time contract requires you to contribute to each school on a pro-rata basis so you cannot be expected to commit 100% to one school or the other.