1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent Exclusions fall again - soundbites, opportunism and poor journalism

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Mr Leonard, Jul 29, 2011.

1. I read this BBC report with dismay;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14324743
    Starting with the Conservatives and Nick Gibb in particular the report appears to contradict the party line on discipline in schools as behaviour is improving. Despite this Nick couldn't resist the chance for a political soundbite about 'new powers' for Heads and teachers. Personally I don't feel particularly empowered, in fact I think that teachers have reason to feel disempowered by a particular piece of Conservative policy outlined in the recent whitepaper on education.
    Despite the cheap soundbites Nick's reaction to the exclusion figures is bizarrely the most accurate - behaviour is probably not getting better and as I'd bet most of us are aware there is are two simple explanations for the falling levels of permanent and fixed term exclusions -
    • The increase in 'managed moves' - if you look hard enough you can find some acknowledgement of this by the Department of Education.
    • LEA policy of charging schools for permanently excluding students to fund alternative provision - academies (whom I have heard are exempt from said charges) currentlly exclude a larger % of students than LEA schools. The school whitepaper suggests that the government favours an expansion of this policy - so much for the new powers!
    Despite these two obvious explanations the unions couldn't resist using the article as a chance to boast on the behalf of SLT members everywhere as if duking the stats is something to celebrate. Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of all this is the BBC's reluctance to question any of it - a five minute internet search provides government acknowledgement of managed moves and financial penalties for trying to exclude badly behaved students.
    Rant over - I guess my question for the behaviour forum is; Does anyone believe these figures really represent an improvement in student behaviour?

2. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Surely this is proof, if proof were needed, that the already largely excellent behaviour in our schools is getting even better. Perhaps that explains the inevitably record breaking results the pupils will get in August...

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Indeed. There are no problems here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXl1GkWWGmA

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

I share your dismay. Despite what you may see with your own eyes, production is up yet again, comrades. Blogged angrily about it here.
    *facepalms*

5. YesMrBronson

6. I urge everyone to read Tom's excellent blog post.

7. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Tom is clearly "negative" has "attitude problems" and worst of all with that negative outlook is probably "not a team player".
    Both of you report to the Ministry of Corrections immediately. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200

8. It wouldn't be the first time... for me, anyway. (I've worked with a lot of Americans)

9. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Thank you. I'm only negative about negative things. And there's no 'I' in 'team', but there is in bullish*t

10. YesMrBronson

I might get that on a T-shirt.

11. quote user="Tom_Bennett"]Thank you. I'm only negative about negative things. And there's no 'I' in 'team', but there is in <u>bullish</u>*t[/quote

Ok, but there's only one. No need to gild the lily.... it pretty much gilds itself

12. I speak as an ousted HoD. When i came to the school I was told that behavior was an issue and given instructions to introduce a detention and sanctions and rewards system which I did and when kids didn't turn up fro detections i issued a new more and contacted parents and then when they didn't come again, as per the agreed policy I refereed it upwards....you know what they did...they started to tell people that i was like a bull dog and so inflexible and would never let anything go etc...
    I was told to check their planners every week and issue detentions for those not getting them signed after 3 times....i was then told by the head of year that i was the only one getting into conflict with students over this issue after some rooting around i found out that i was the only tutor applying this school rule every week and others weren't bothered as they saw it as petty and a waste of their time....
    i could go on but i am sure you have heard it all before.

13. 'I was told to check their planners every week and issue detentions for those not getting them signed after 3 times....i was then told by the head of year that i was the only one getting into conflict with students over this issue after some rooting around i found out that i was the only tutor applying this school rule every week and others weren't bothered as they saw it as petty and a waste of their time....
    i could go on but i am sure you have heard it all before.'

Oh, yes. There's a lot of it about

14. We had a detention policy introduced in our school on the NE coast by some dundersuperhead from Leicester. It does not work and all that happens is teachers are in detention all the time. We got told, 'trust me it works' this was 18 months ago and it still does not work.
    After the June half term they (SMT) asked us/demanded that we confiscate mobile phones when they are out in the corridors or classrooms, yours truly asked a pupil, who had their mobile out in class, for their phone and got told to '**** off'.
    What happened to the pupil - 4 hours in isolation. I will not be asking pupils to give me their mobiles anymore, that is for sure.
    Under the old behaviour system we had, they would have been excluded for 2 days first offence, 3 days second offence and so on.
    The dundersuperhead, HT and SMT can 'brag' that behaviour has improved because exclusions have gone down. Utter garbage.
    We done permanently exclude anymore, not for dealing on site, assaulting staff, damaging staff cars and school property, bringing knives and bb guns on site etc.. It is called a 'managed move', it lasts for 6 weeks and then we get them back.
    I like the idea of the staff in that school in Lancashire that went on strike over behaviour.

15. Of course.
    Ours are often ''B' coded as they are 'working from home'....because if the exclusions were followed through, according to our discipline policy, there would be a lot, (initially at least) and this would trigger the big O.
    So we all carry on playing the game... yes everything's improving, everything's wonderful, every bar chart shows the number of exclusions going down year on year...