1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent Exclusion

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jelliemint, Dec 28, 2011.

1. What happened?

2. If she is permanently excluded there will be an appeals process and the parents will get details of how to prepare their case if they choose to appeal. They should also get a name of someone who can act as an advocat or help them with the appeal if they need it. However, in my experience it is quite unusual to permanently exclude at this stage - she only has a few months to go to her exams and usually schools will hang on and send them on early study leave, say from Easter. It is a lot easier (and cheaper) than going through the rigmarole of permanent exclusion. They might be 'bluffing' in order to get her to be more compliant. If she has done something really dreadful, she will probably be educated off site or have work sent home - schools have a number of options and permanent exclusion is really quite rare.

3. Would be worth looking at the information from the Advisory Centre for Education (ACE)
    http://www.ace-ed.org.uk

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

They should tell her to apologise and buck her ideas up or withdraw her from school.

5. I didnt say that.
    She has obviously been very stupid in her behaviour.
    Unfortunately, with the best will in the world some families are dysfunctional and she is caught up in it, which in turn reflects on her behaviour in school. Her father, has little influence on that aspect of her life but doesnt mean the rest of us dont care.
    Thanks for the more supportive replies from those of you who made them. We will indeed be telling her to behaviour herself etc etc.

6. I doubt the best place to ask for advice is a forum frequented by teachers, since most will only have experience of being on the receiving end of whatever resulted in your niece being excluded. Not likely to feel especially sympathetic, and most are unlikely to have much experience of the appeals process.
    As I've never experienced the exclusion process, I cannot advise, unfortunately.
    I hope you find something that helps your niece.

7. I was thinking exactly the same thing.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly. Not sure how it works down south but in my experience,it takes an awful lot for a kid to be permanently excluded.

9. Agreed. The last permanent exclusion that I know of was in my last place of work, and the child had thrown a piece of furniture at the teacher after months of disrespect and foul language to many staff that worked there. I'm just afraid that in your reply you seemed surprised that some posters were not sympathetic. Please, before we get bad mouthed as a rude lot of teachers, remember that many of us are on the receiving end of this type of behaviour on a daily basis and it is very unpleasant. It sounds like not only does she need to buck her ideas up hugely, but possibly this permanent exclusion may be the shock that her and her family (or the ones that are being less than helpful) need. Being a HOY I have seen this happen, and I do hope that whatever happens to this student will change her attitude for the better.

10. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

An adult that she has a good relationship with needs to start helping her to build bridges with both her family and the school and the OP sounnds just the empathetic/interested person/party to do this.
    If anything can be salvaged at this stage from the situation she must see that she must make an apology/ies for whatever she has done, must show a willingness to toe the line from now on and put her nose to the grindstone and work her rear end off from now. It is not too late.

11. Thank you for that small ray of hope.
    I am sorry that I have offended some of you by asking. I, too, am a teacher and understand the stress a disruptive pupil can cause but I had hoped someone with experience of the process which I do not have of this stage, as a primary teacher, could offer some constructive advice.
    Her paternal grandparents are very distressed. Her mother is non supportive and disinterested and no doubt more than part of the problem. We, as her father's family have very little contact with her on a daily basis and have had little opportunity to have an impact on this. She is apparently horrified at the situation she finds herself in now and I am clutching at straws to know how to help.
    Please consider this thread closed.

12. Good luck. It sounds as though she will need lots of support to make a concerted effort over a long period of time.
    Do come back and let us know / ask for more ideas though. Grumpy we may be but many TESrs will offer up nuggets of support anyway.
    Again, best of luck.