1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

permanent exclusion query

Discussion in 'Governors' started by tesv, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Blah blah blah.

From what I can see, disability was not an issue when the exclusion was made. The child had a 'medical condition'. In August the OP was advised about the DDA. Now the child has a 'disability'. Mmmm?

2. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

Try to behave like an adult and not one of my year 9s. You might even get to enjoy it.

3. I should point out I am not the parent, only advising someone.
    Things have come to light after several coversation. Initialy parents were very upset and did leave out some relevant details.
    Yes they knew child had a medical condition but were not aware it was an official disability. However after research they now accept the child does have a disability, which to school is well aware of.
    They are only asking if this should have been concidered when deciding on an appropriate sanction.

Can anyone advise what happens if panel fails to sit in the specifed 15 school days.
    Thank You

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's unlikely to make any difference. According to the statutory guidance, if the original governors exclusions panel misses the legal timelimits they are not relieved of their obligation to hold the hearing and their decision will not be invalid simply on the grounds that it was made out of time, ie they just get on with holding the hearing even though it's late. I imagine the same applies to an IAP hearing.

5. Thank You Rott Weiler, thats what we expected.

6. So it all worked out in the end then.

Let's just hope that no other child makes the mistake of teasing the lad about his weight and ends up with a knife at their throat?