1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent Contracts

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hev51, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Hi Can anyone enlighten me with regard to permanent contracts for teaching assistants please? I have been told that I have one of the best permanent contracts that a TA can get. I received it in 2009. However I am not sure what that means as I didn't realise there were variations!

2. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I'm afraid I'm not really sure what you are asking? Do you mean the terms of your contract? There certainly can be variations of these, especially in academies but I would have said that the 'norm' in a large authority would employ a TA for around 32.5 hours per week, term-time-only, but the wages would be split into 12 equal monthly payments by actually paying a lower number of hours per week across 52 weeks of the year.

Duties descriptions are generally deliberately vague for all school support staff and the catch-all phrase, "Any duties the head considers appropriate" can cover a multitude of sins!

Notice of termination of employment for a Level 3 TA is usually 1 calendar month on either side. You will have something in your contract that commits you to following all the school policies and not doing anything to bring the school into disrepute - this might not be explicitly explained but it will be covered by a clause somewhere.

Don't know if this is what you mean - sorry. Some TAs are still on temporary contracts which can be ended with little or no notice, and with hours which can be varied to suit the needs of the school, including having the day split - these are more common in small authorities and any schools (academies/free schools etc.) which are not within the control of a local authority. Many are working for appallingly low wages as well - I can only imagine the person who has told you this means that you are not in one of these situations.

3. Thanks Ophelia. It does seem a strange situation. Recently our school TA's have been asked to reduce their hours voluntarily. It was mentioned by Senior Management (and I know they should not gossip but they do!), to a teacher that I would not be asked because I had a very secure contract. I took it that I must have different clauses in my contract to other staff who had permanent contracts but without having anything to compare to I don't know what exactly. Like you mention there can be variations of terms. I suppose what I am asking is would I be silly to give up a 'secure' contract and move to another school for another permanent contract which may not be so 'secure'?

4. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

I don't understand how having a 'secure' contract stops the SLT from asking you to reduce your hours voluntarily - anybody can be asked because you are entitled to say no. Don't forget that if you move schools, you're not really secure for the first 2 years, whoever you are and whatever your contract.