1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent cancellation- small claims

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by sabram86, Apr 7, 2018.

1. sabram86

sabram86 New commenter

Hey, fellow tutors!

I had a family contact me to arrange private tuition for their child. Eventually, after much messaging, we finally arranged a first lesson. When I got there, we discussed the long-term arrangements, etc. As you do.

Come two weeks later, I had heard nothing from them so I sent a text message, only to be told that their rather precocious daughter had decided she preferred to be tutored by a family friend instead.

I'm now minded to just put a small claims' court claim in for breach of contract. I know it's seldom done by tutors but I rather detest such a casual and rude attitude to me and other skilled people.

Has anyone any similar experience?

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Don't really think you have a leg to stand on to be honest. Just write it up to experience. Just because you discussed long term etc doesn't make it a binding contract. Did anyone sign anything? What if, say, your circumstances change and you could no longer teach someone? Would they be able to take you to court?

3. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

I am sorry to hear what has happened to you, @sabram86 but it is par for the course in the world of tuition. As a rule of thumb, clients that do not get back to you within a day or two, or indulge in protracted wrangling over dates and times, are not serious about tuition, and will just waste your time.

tesolmath likes this.
  4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

absolutely spot on Jolly Roger. You get a feel for people. I am far more flexible with my long standing clients than I am with new ones. Even at the communication stage, you can usually spot the time wasters

5. tesolmath

tesolmath New commenter

I used to support myself as a maths tutor while at university and i charged discount rates in consideration of advance payment for a fixed schedule with further discounts for students who scheduled more than three sessions per week. Cancellation less than 24 hours in advance was charged at half the usual rate. No-shows were charged the full rate. I felt sorry for the occasional ones who showed up once, paid a month in advance then never appeared again but they were few. Absenteeism by pre-pay tutorial students was less than that of those who paid at the end of the session. I learned never to accept arrangements that paid monthly after services were delivered because too many did not pay.

Lengthy conversations about possible schedules were simply not on: "If you want to purchase my services, let's arrange dates and times; if you need to think it over, please phone me back when you have made up your mind."