1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Permanent black spot on laptop screen

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oliverferret, Jul 8, 2012.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

My daughter's netbook has developed a permanent black mark (like an ink stain) on the screen. Is there any way of getting rid of this and does anyone know what caused it?
    Thanks

2. oliverferret

My daughter's netbook has developed a permanent black mark (like an ink stain) on the screen. Is there any way of getting rid of this and does anyone know what caused it?
    Thanks

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

If it is there regardless of which program is running, then it most likely a broken screen and it will need replacing

4. How big is it? Sometimes pixels 'die' and leave tiny black holes but larger marks are usually as the result of some level of trauma to the screen (dropping it etc). They don't generally get better and do get bigger!

5. oliverferret

It is big (about 1.5cm wide but going down the screen from top to bottom) - it's apparently been there for a while. She is telling me it is sun damage but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it has suffered considerable "trauma".

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

"sun damage" [​IMG]

7. oliverferret

She's obviously trying to delay the inevitable - the netbook is often on her bedroom floor sometimes covered by clothes or other debris. I try to avoid entering her bedroom as it is a health and safety hazard and going in ruins any sense of peace and well being that I may have.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

the screen might have been pressed in that area and it's unlikely it will recover. Could have been that the lid was closed on an object on the keyboard? Not necessarily a fault that has to be remedied, unless it seriously interferes with her typing up homework etc [​IMG]
    I've heard it claimed that the occasional 'stuck' pixel can sometimes be sorted by programs that cycle through colours, but have never had to try it.

9. oliverferret

Unfortunately, it does make it virtually useless for her homework. She is supposed to be using it for her A level course work. Despite the appalling state of her bedroom she does work hard at school - I am just trying to think of all the jobs she can do over the summer to pay for the repairs.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

That's the main thing I suppose. It'll be worth getting it fixed then.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sounds like the screen/lid needs replacing. Is it a laptop or a netbook? Laptops (being bigger) usually have more output sockets, and a stop-gap measure until the end of term might be to connect it to a telly, assuming the right cable can be found, and the telly is compatible.

12. oliverferret

It's a samsung netbook
    Do you have any idea how much this will cost?

13. magic surf bus

Type make, model number, and 'screen' into eBay and see what price comes up for the spare part. It might be possible to fix it yourself provided you can find a safe way to undo the lid hinges then put them back again. There'd probably be some sort of cable or ribbon connection that would need dealing with too. If you're not happy with doing that, try asking a techie person.

14. oliverferret

Thanks will try this.

15. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

16. oliverferret

17. magic surf bus

If it's just the actual screen you're buying you may not need to mess about with the lid hinges - I was assuming that the lid and screen would be sold as a single sealed unit. Make sure you've got a set of those tiny screwdrivers, as you'll probably be dealing with tiny screws.