1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Peripatetic Teaching

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jotop, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I have a friend that is working as a peri music teacher. She has been asked this year to take on extra lessons, GCSE Music and A Level Music Tech. She is being paid as a peri and treated as a full time teacher. I think the school are taking her for granted and not understanding her role. She wants to teach the GCSE and the A Level but as an unqualified teacher she is finding this whole situation unmanageable. Is this common?

2. our peri teachers are paid on teacher salary, therefore if this is the case here, i see no issue. She is paid as a teacher and completes teacher duties ie planning, prep, teaching, marking, assessment etc.
    why does she want to teach it as an unqualified teacher? does she think she wont need to do the prep, assessment etc??

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I got the impression that she isn't qualified as a teacher, which is why she is struggling?

4. She is paid by the hour and is struggling to fit all of the planning and assessment time around her existing peri commitments. I feel that the school are unaware of the pressures that have built up for my friend as she is unqualified and has no idea what the role of a full time teacher includes. They are assuming that she knows what she should be doing.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Then she should not have accepted the role.

You said originally she wants to teach the GCSE and A-Level, but she seems to have only just found out that a teacher's workload extends beyond the classroom. Well welcome to the real world of teaching!

Which, as she has accepted the post, is entirely reasonable.

6. I wholeheartedly agree. She probably should have never agreed to such a role given that she has no idea what it actually takes. But, I cannot help but feel that the school has some responsibility for giving her this role and automatically assuming that she knows what comes with such territory. She never realized that by accepting such a role she would have to behave as a proper teacher; she felt she could just deliver the curriculum.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Is this a private school? I am curious as to how an unqualified teacher would have been hired otherwise.

8. The peri's in the Music Service in my county ALL have to have a PGCE because they are required, often, to support teaching/learning in the classroom as well as the 1:1/group instrumental tuition. Clearly the school would be aware that your friend doesn't have a PGCE because of her CV etc.
    My suggestion would be for your friend to sit down with the HoD Music or HoF or HT and explain that they're very keen to do the work but needs some guidence in these early stages.
    In fact, I'm a bit surprised that she isn't already getting some support from the HoD/HoF.
    In reply to Karvol - I'm aware of a school in my area that employs an Instructor to deliver much of their KS3 and 4 Music sessions. This is someone who has only the most basic of musical training (never even done a grade). Not a good situation, imo.

9. Yes, the school is a private school. I will advise my friend to seek the extra support she needs. It is hard for an unqualified teacher to understand the professional demands. I think she was under the impression that she would deliver the course and someone else would do all the other duties as she did not expect them to assume she would be behaving as a professional teacher.

I agree, it is so hard to get an unqualified instructor to understand the mentality and demands of a professional teacher. Schools should not be allowing this kind of situation to arise imo. I am sure parents would be outraged if they realised!