1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Peripatetic music lessons

Discussion in 'Music' started by sailady, Jun 30, 2015.

1. 25975

25975 New commenter

Good luck. I am thinking of this too. Can't help you though but would be interested in any suggestions.

2. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

May I clarify, are you saying that you are already a [music] teacher in a school and wish to teach piano in your non-contact [free] time, or are you a member of the public who wants to start teaching piano?

3. Michael Aaron is still a good start and I know a lot use the John Thompson although it is quite american!

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think Faber's Piano Adventures series has been the course of choice for a lot of piano teachers in recent years. If the OP is thinking of teaching the piano from home, I'd advise reading and joining the ABRSM forum where a lot of expert advice is to be found.

If the OP really is thinking of peripatetic piano teaching in schools, it has to be pointed out that peripatetic piano teaching is rare (although not unknown) outside the independent sector. Orchestral instruments (plus guitar, drums and sometimes singing) are much more common.