1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Periods question... Womens' stuff

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slingshotsally, Feb 5, 2012.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Sorry for too much information in this post.
    I am 41yrs old and for the last 3 or so months my periods have been delayed by at least 4 or 5 if not more days. This of itself wouldn't be too bad except I have to keep asking myself if I could be pregnant- I take precautions however you do hear of "failures".
    Could it be that this is the start of the menopause, or is it supposed to happen overnight?
    BPG

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It could be.

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Could well be the start - menopause does not happen overnight, it goes on for years and years and years (in my experience) but the symptons change!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Certainly agree that it could be. 'Oh, the joys of 'Could I possibly be pregnant? of those years!' (Worst was when I hadn't had one for 10 months, then had one and then didn't!) I bought a couple of prgnancy kits to have for when you're really worried- very irregular anyway so didn't consider possiblity until I'd missed 2 anyway.
    No, it doesn't happen overnight- can take up to 15 years from start to finish. You can have irregular pre-menopausal symptoms for quite a while until it actually kicks in and can last a long time as I've said.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I'm in my forties and have occasionally had a late one recently. Lastyear I even ended up doing a pregnancy test.
    According to my GP there can be quite a long time of irregular periods in the run up to menopause. Sometimes a period will be late and then sort of catch up by being very heavy. It's important to use contraception still.
    You can get a ******** test to see if you are perimenopausal - I did one and it came back negative, so I must have a while to go yet.
    Let's hope this very gradual approach means we get off with fewer of the unpleasent symptoms when the menopause kicks in proper.

6. Lara mfl 05

Certainly in my case, although it was long and drawn out, apart from the pregnancy scares and the occasional night sweat and inability to sleep I <u>did</u> get off lightly compared to others.

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Me and my friend are in our early 40s and both of us are having shorter cycles aprrox 23 days and also having spotting 3-5 days before the start. I havent been to my GP yet but she has and was told she was perimenopausal and it was common. I have since also started to have hot flushes and night sweats this last 5 months. My magazine this month did a feature on perimenopause and hot flushes and the article said that once hot flushes start you are 2 years away from the menopause. That will make me very early, but I have nothing to compare it to as my mum and grandmother had hysterectomies at 40. Mind my mums was for severe bleeding which I have since heard is another sign of the menopause, so maybe she was early after all. Certainly she went into the menopause 3 years later, which she was told to expect as hysterectomies can trigger it, even though she kept her ovaries. I am now on multivitamin iron tablets as I find I keep getting anaemic.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Do you girls check your cycles with a calendar or by lunar observation? One of my wives used to stare at the moon quite a bit, and howl somewhat, I remember, in the week before her period was due.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I used to check my cycle with the Raleigh instruction manual that came with it.

11. My mum is going through the menopause at the moment and had symptoms for 18 months before going on HRT which she has been on for almost a year now. Her hot flushes were awful-she would go bright red all over and keep staggering out of the patio doors to get some fresh air when the rest of us were freezing! Her memory got worse and she had mood swings as well but my auntie said her only symptoms were her periods stopping and starting so she would get one every other month for a while and then it would be six months between and so on until they stopped completely.

12. Is it officially all over when you haven't had one for 12 months?

13. Lara mfl 05

I think the official line is '24 months before stopping contraceptive methods'.

14. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I discussed this with a gynaecologist quite recently - apparently the advice now is to remove the ovaries as well if you are over 45 as having a hysterectomy puts you into menopause 2 years earlier that would otherwise be the case even if you do leave the ovaries in place.