1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Periods have stopped!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by jazz2, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Have no real help to offer, I'm afraid, but if the GP said it could happen, and you're being monitored, then I shouldn't think there's too much to worry about (easily said). But we all miss one here or there because of stress, so at least you know it's very normal.
    Just didn't like to read and not respond. Feel a bit stupid just saying don't worry though.

2. I'm presuming that you're not old enough for the menopause.
    I'm 5'6" and have always enjoyed my food. I was 8st 2lb at my first weigh-in when I was pregnant and although anorexia wasn't the big deal in 1982 that it is now, the consultant did question me very closely about my periods and eating habits. Regular as clockwork and ate like a horse.
    It is a very personal response, the distribution of fat, muscle etc that causes menstruation to start and stop. Madonna's stopped, as do many athletes, because the muscle:fat ratio is sub-optimal - they aren't technically underweight.
    If your GP is satisfied that you don't have anorexia or bulimia (and begging your pardon, presuming you're telling the truth!) then it's probably the combination of the major weight loss and the stress that are to blame. If he's monitoring it and you don't fret too much over it, I'm sure you'll be OK! Go fry some Camembert!

3. I hadn't noticed the bit where you punished yourself for redundancy. How on earth could that be construed as your fault, even by you? It's a set-back, a damn nuisance, but not a moral failing.

4. Thanks for your replies.
    No not old enough for menopause thankfully (am mid 30's). And yes I have been telling the truth. Definately not anorexic or bulimic. I do restrict myself calories and probably eating just over half amount of calories I should be. I cook every night for myself too - just low fat things etc. I have a very open relationship with my GP and I tell her absolutely everything... she is my life line as I have nobody else to talk to.
    I am sure my periods will return eventually. I have an appointment with my GP next week so will talk to her then.

As for punishing myself for losing my job - I am not sure. My GP thought maybe that was what was happening. I still don't really know. The problem with 'food' started as I lost my job but there could be other reasons why I stopped eating properly. Again, it just happened and I am not sure really what was going through my head at the time.
    Anyway, thanks again

5. That seems to be quite often an issue with eating disorders - if you feel that a situation is out of your control, the one thing you can influence is how much / little you eat. I spent quite a few years 'punsihing' myself for being fat & ugly. Being skeletal, weirdly, didn't make me more attractive! [​IMG]
    I hope you feel better soon, and the periods kick in again. Try not to worry about it too much - that will tend to delay things more.

6. Hi, my periods stoppped for almost 12 months a few years back because I wasn't eating enough (wasn't anorexic). But they returned eventually after eating more - especially foods containing fat. I felt so much better and 'normal' when they returned and I've been fine ever since. Oh, and I'm not actually much heavier now than I was before(half a stome) so it must have been fat that i needed. I know that fat helps you produce hormones so that must be it!
    Take care, look after yourself and you'll be fine.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

A friend of mine worked for several years n Madagasar, where he saw the terrible results of a poverty-diet too low in fat. He said that even young people had paper-like skin.
    Sparkles, Your GP suggested that you might have a borderline eating disorder even though you weight was ideal. By the way, there's no such thing as just ideal. Your OP troubled me because you seemed a bit dissociated from yourself, as if you were regarding yourself as a specimen rather than talking about yourself. I've looked at your other posts and they're almost all about your anxieties about 'down there' health.
    I'm honestly not being in anyway critical but I think, in capacity as pop psychologist [​IMG] that you're focusing to an unusual extent on the workings of your abdomen.
    All the best

8. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Despite not eating enough, I am a little bit overweight - however when I was undergoing a period of terrible stress, my periods stopped. This was in my early thirties and they eventually returned, but long after the stress had disappeared. It wasn't the lack of food which was an issue - it was the stress.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Surely it's likely to be both, since [even though a little bit overweight] you stopped eating because of stress?
    How ovrwieght were you?

10. Hi,
    I was anorexic as a teenager and didn't have periods for 2 years. (1 year whilst underweight, and 1 year when putting enough weight back on).
    One of the things which spurred me into getting help with my eating issues was a doctor informing me that if I didn't put weight on I was likely to go through the menopause at 19 and would be unable to have children.
    Eating disorders or issues are usually your way of trying to impose some control on your life when you don't feel in control. I would imagine a redundancy would make you feel out of control (as it wasn't your decision) and is a life changing event.
    It sounds like you are starting to get help to manage your issues which is the first step to recovery. I went to a self help group for eating disorders, which helped as I got support from other people who had been through it and had come through the other side.
    My weight has been at a healthy level for 16 years now and my periods have been fine, so it is possible to recover from this. Good luck.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sensei sounds like somebody worth listening to, Sparkles.
    I'm sorry - I shouldn't have asked you how overweight you were. That was MEGA INSENSITIVE and I am truly sorry for having been such a idiot.
    All te best

inky

12. Paradoxicalgirly

lol! I don't mind you asking - my BMI was 26. And I hadn't stopped eating due to stress - I just generally don't eat enough! Even now I'm pregnant, I struggle with eating enough as I should - and sometimes am forcing food down when I'm not hungry just for the sake of baby.
    When I was on Anti-Ds 4 years ago, and I ate even less (two slices of toast and two fudge bars a day) my periods didn't stop. I wasn't stressed then, but depressed.

13. Were they SSRIs? I normally eat like a horse but I just never felt hungry, never fancied anything to eat really (went right off sex too, just not interested) while I was on them.
    Tricyclics on the other hand - I put two stone on six months. Permanently ravenous. I had to take bread to bed.

14. Paradoxicalgirly

It was Prozac - is that an SSRI? Never went off sex though!!! That's happening now for the first time ever, but that's only cos I'm in so much pain and so exhausted cos of the lack of sleep!!

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It's easier said than done to stop punishing oneself over things, but do try to add some olive oil (or similar) to your evening meal, it will do wonders for your health (not just skin quality either).
    From my experience it's easy to get into a mind set of "I don't deserve this"(negative) and much harder to believe "I love myself and I deserve this"(positive). I know there are some posters that this hasn't happened to so I'm wary of posting this as it seems a bit "general" but it isn't meant to be (not making much sense here).
    Try and do something nice for yourself every day it doesn't have to be food related all of the time but I think some people do have an unhealthy relationship with food that is difficult to overcome.
    Take care x