1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Period products free in all schools from Monday

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Corvuscorax, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Does anyone work in a school where period products aren't free? I suppose the difference will be the government is paying for them, rather than the school.

But wouldn't it be far more valuable and effective for the government to fund a more period- friendly design for girls toilets? sink in the same cubicle as toilet, paper towels as well as hand driers, etc.

Its all very well providing free menstrual cups, but I've never come across a school where you could use them

2. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

There are free pads available where I work but I doubt most of the girls know. I guess they find out when HoY or ladies in the office provide them . The school does pay for them

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

well, they know in our school, its written on the back of every female toilet door

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Oh, how I remember the dread of rummaging quietly in a bag in a cubicle... knowing everyone could hear everything.

When we had our cloakroom areas redesigned, and the horrible cubicles (whose walls and doors didn’t meet either the floor or the ceiling) were removed, I managed to convince the mostly-male management to install toilet ‘rooms’ for the girls, with proper ceiling-to-floor walls and doors, with individual wash basins, paper towels and bins inside, to guarantee total privacy.

Most girls in Primary won’t have to worry about period privacy, but for the few that do, in my school at least, it’s one thing less to worry about.

chelsea2, agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You can never have enough free periods:eek::D

strawbs and catbefriender like this.