1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Period of Notice for Supply Agency?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Montana_x, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Evening all,

I am applying for a job and on the application it asks for the period of notice required. Currently I am supply teaching through an agency and I cannot find it anywhere what the period of notice is, therefore I have put down 1 week, since I have been there less than 6 months. Does anyone know what it is? Or where I could find the answer?

Thanks
    M x

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

When does the job require you to begin, if you get it?

If its January, then you can give notice to the agency for Christmas.

Another alternative is you could ring the agency and ask - but are they the type who might make it a bit awkward if you say you intend to leave?

3. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi CWadd,

The job begins in November, the latter part of.
    Umm, I don't think so, but I don't really want them to know I'm looking for other work, in case they decide to give me less and it's already a bit hit and miss at the moment.

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Right.

If all they are giving you is daily supply, and this is long term/FTE/Permanent, they cannot take umbrage. If they do, resign from them anyway, and find a better - and more professional - agency!

However, do tell them if you have an interview. That is the professional thing to do.

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you have a contract with the agency, it will say what the period of notice is.

If you do not have a contract, which to me is the most likely scenario, then there is no notice period at all.

Do they have to give you notice not to give you any more work? I guess not. Therefore no notice period for you.

Just be professional in telling them that you will be unavailable for work on the day of the interview, and let them know as soon as possible when you, hopefully, get the job.

Good luck!

6. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi CWadd and Theo,

Ahh right that's perfect! I did sign some forms when I joined but in looking over them there is nothing about notice period. I have put 1 week on the form but presumably, on the basis of what you have both said, I can remove this? Yes, I would most definitely let them know I have an interview just out of curtesy.

Fingers crossed...

Thanks again!

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

No problem - let us know how you get on! Good luck!