1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Period 6

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Oldfashioned, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Currently on a short contract at a school and my temporary colleagues are all getting a little antsy about a compulsory period 6 being added to one of their teaching days each week.

The normal day is five one hour lessons plus 35 mins mentoring and form time in the morning. I've been in other schools and there has been objections and union action against a period 6 or 7 being added on. The SLT here claim they are well within their rights to add it as directed time. I've been asked if I would do some for extra pay but I'd rather have the time away from school.

Does anyone know whether this falls under normal directed time or is contact time different in anyway?

Personally I'd hate it. The idea of a meeting one day, period 6 another and then the possibility of a pastoral meeting. This, all too common, erosion of our personal time is one of the reasons teaching is so toxic.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There are no rules about how many periods there can be in a day nor rules requiring all days to be the same length. So if the extra period will be within 1265 hours it would be within directed time. It makes no difference what you are directed to do in the time - teaching, pastoral time, staring out of the staffroom window. If it's directed within 1265 hours it's directed time.

It's good practice to consult both parents and staff on changes to the times of the school day though. Did they? (I think I know the answer to that :) ). It's not a legal requirement though.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There are 1265 available hours at the direction at of the HT. That includes student-facing time, meetings, PPA etc etc.

You always ask for your personal directed-time budget. Always. Usually a few hours are left unallocated for emergency meetings/whatever.

It's just maths.

bonxie, JohnJCazorla, strawbs and 2 others like this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In our area, it's the bus timetable which dictates the length of the School Day, as they haven't enough stock for all schools at the same time. :(

strawbs, sparkleghirl and agathamorse like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had a 6 period day last year.

When we had "intervention" after school - it was periods 7 and 8

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If you're short of your 1265 hours then this one extra hour a week will add 39 hours. If you've 60 hours "spare" then don't be surprised if 39 are redirected towards teaching. It depends on the context.

strawbs likes this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm reminded of the maternity cover I did in a school with insufficient canteen capacity so they had this weird two lunchtime timetable that meant on some days some classes had a six period day with three afternoon periods. Period 6 was awful, especially Y9 RS.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

When we joined a Sixth form consortium, we had to teach lessons 6 and 7 to accommodate students from other institutions. Initially, TOIL in the teaching day was allowed but his disappeared. Teaching seven hours on the trot is exhausting.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Did they prevent it happening?

10. install

install Star commenter

Why didn't they all.go.to their Unions? Some hts like to try their luck.sadly abd get away with treating their staff like robots. Not good

Curae likes this.
  11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

OMG, just realising how good I’ve had it over the last 30 odd years.

12. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I wonder what stops them dispensing of all the meeting **** and just make all directed time (except the 10% PPA) teaching hours.

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Nothing. A school could, if they wanted, operate staggered days for students in different year groups, increasing the total teaching time and employer fewer teachers to teach the same total amount of lessons. There has been a thread about lunchtime duties - I would rather do that than have to teach for longer.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Some schools are moving that way now, watch this academy shaped space.

(However, once you remove functionless meetings you also strip many highly paid senior staff of their p.m. criteria stating that they must go "bla bla bla" to the whole school for 90 minutes at least three times a year. So it's a tricky one, no?)

agathamorse and Piranha like this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The all-through academy I worked at did this - added an hour onto the end of the day once a week for 'extension activities'. All staff were involved, including TAs (I presume they got paid for it, but have no idea - mugs if they didn't).

No account was made of children in Reception / Y1 being absolutely shattered by the end of the day.
    It caused major issues with the school buses.
    I assume it must have kept us within the 1265 hours, though I never thought to check (think I was just paddling to stand still at the time).

The children hated it - every half term they were offered a range of actvities which staff were prepared to do, and could select their top 3, but many never got any of their choices so were forced to do something else instead.

The staff hated it - the savvy ones offered to do something like 'Film Club' or 'silent reading'.

The parents hated it.

It lasted a year!

agathamorse and sabrinakat like this.
  16. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I once had a colleague who had done VSO in Africa. She told us that to accommodate the large number of students, the schools had a system called 'hot seating', which had two shifts, one on the morning, and one in the afternoon, the same teachers doing both shifts. I am surprised that academy bosses have tried this here. Imagine teaching ten hours straight each day, and then doing the after school meetings! :confused:

@sbkrobson: If you did away with the meetings, CPD, sessions, etc., the need for most of the SMT would disappear!

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Even under STPCD, they could have you teaching about 5½ hours a day and still have 5 hours a week for meetings, break duty etc.

agathamorse likes this.