1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Period 6' Lessons

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by curlcurlcurl, Jul 17, 2018.

1. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Looking for some clarification, if you are a postholder (not on leadership payscale) does this mean you MUST agree to take period 6 intervention lessons simply due to your job title?

2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

No. If in doubt, talk to your union.

hammie likes this.
  3. curlcurlcurl

I did think this was the case. However, postholders at my school have been made to feel as if it is the norm and they have no choice in the matter. Why on earth schools still continue to make their members of staff feel this way is beyond me.

4. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

OfSTED pressure + funding cuts + falling union membership + NQTs who don't know any better + our own desire for students to do well = teachers taken advantage of.

PS = come to Spain. The pay is ****, but I have never once been asked to give up time for intervention (of course, I do run some sessions in lunchtime... but nobody asked me to, which is the point). I leave school everyday the moment the last lesson finishes.

hammie likes this.
  5. curlcurlcurl

Spain isn’t an option for me I’m afraid! A shame more UK schools aren’t of the same mind set.

How much does ‘more of the same’ actually help, anyway, when a fair few of the students on the intervention lists have thrown away many in class opportunities?! Surely we’re just encouraging dependent learners knowing that we will eventually give up break times, lunch times and before or after school to help them, even if they haven’t earned that help.

6. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

If a school wants to make this actually compulsory for those not on the leadership scale, it would have to be part of a directed time budget...
    But of course if a school is putting the pressure on, it can be uncomfortable being the voice of dissent. So you have to decide if it is a battle you want to fight...
    I hope you find a way through this!

curl88 likes this.
  7. curlcurlcurl

I agree, what is or isn’t directed time is sometimes irrelevant if you’re the only one going against the grain!

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

When PPA time was introduced, some schools tried to get around it my adding 'lesson six' to the timetable, in which no classes were taught, saying, "Voila! There's your PPA time.'"

From my own experience, and from what I have heard from other teachers, some schools only pay lip service to after hours 'intervention' sessions. Yes, there are teachers in front of students but little is done to see that anything effective, or useful, is achieved.. Intervention should be for those students that need, and would benefit it, not all students in a reprise of the school day. In my last school, detainees were often dumped into intervention sessions.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Our new HT has already said there will be NO after school intervention lessons next year.

10. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

No point running interventionlessons when the students don’t listen in the first plCe.

When put under pressure simply set exam based / extra homework and say you will mark i with them and set more as your intervention lesson - you can then show SLT you have offered this but it wasn’t successful as the students did not turn up because they did not do the homework

Conversely if they do turn up it will be successful because they will then start paying attention in class and not need intervention

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

always volunteer to run it for the bottom set! they never turn up, except for the one or two decent kids who deserve a break. And they work so slowly you can get your marking done during a round the table session