1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Perimeter question

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by redredrobin, Feb 11, 2012.

1. If you have a shape with the middle cut out, would the perimeter include the sides of the cut out section?

2. If you have a shape with the middle cut out, would the perimeter include the sides of the cut out section?

3. DM

DM New commenter

Good question.
    The shape has two perimeters, an inner perimeter and an outer perimeter. If the question asks for the perimeter and does not clearly identify which one, I would imagine they are looking for the outer perimeter. I would not add the two perimeters together.

4. Thank you - that's what we'll go with!

5. So DM, are you saying the perimeter of an annulus is the same as the outside circle? I thought the perimeter would be the total of both the outside and inside one.

6. DM

DM New commenter

Depends on the audience. The OP is a KS1 teacher and I think the message that needs to be shared is that the perimeter is the exterior boundary of a shape.
    (Between you and me, the formula for the perimeter of an annulus is often given as 4 pi x the mean radius).

7. If the OP is a KS1 teacher, my advice would be to avoid such shapes and concentrate on shapes without holes. However, if a pupils asks the question regarding a shape with a hole in it, for example a square within a square, my advice would be to give the correct response that the perimeter is the length of the boundary of the shape which includes both interior and exterior ones. This will avoid any confusion later on when the pupil comes across such shapes as the annulus.

8. DM

DM New commenter

Not easy to do if he or she is using a commercial package that defines perimeter as the exterior boundary of a shape and illustrates this point with "holey" examples.

9. I am a ks1 teacher but this wasn't for my class. It was my 8 yr old daughter's homework and was indeed a commercial worksheet to find area and perimeter. It got my husband and I into a discussion about what would be mathematically correct. Maybe I'll get her to give measurements for external and internal perimeters so that she knows both are perimeter.