1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Peri Contracts

Discussion in 'Music' started by bee12399, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Hi folks, i am after some advice with regards to peri's. Currently the music service is used but i am finding increasingly that the are not delivering the provision I would like, we have had lots of absence and the service is very expensive.
    I am considering moving away from the music service and contracting personel out from our school directly, meaning I would need to set up contracts with the Peri teachers and then with parents.
    I am after support really from anyone who already does this or who has also been in this position. Do you have a copy of the contracts you use? WHat do you pay staff/charge the kids? Who then does the admin for this?
    Any help gratefully recieved. Also incase it is of help we are a recent academy (last few months)- thanks in advance

2. Hi folks, i am after some advice with regards to peri's. Currently the music service is used but i am finding increasingly that the are not delivering the provision I would like, we have had lots of absence and the service is very expensive.
    I am considering moving away from the music service and contracting personel out from our school directly, meaning I would need to set up contracts with the Peri teachers and then with parents.
    I am after support really from anyone who already does this or who has also been in this position. Do you have a copy of the contracts you use? WHat do you pay staff/charge the kids? Who then does the admin for this?
    Any help gratefully recieved. Also incase it is of help we are a recent academy (last few months)- thanks in advance

3. This can be a massive grey area, so beware!
    If your peri's are self-employed, then they can only work at your school for a certain number of hours before it is classed as 'employment' if your school hires them and you charge the parents.
    On the other hand if your peri charges the parents directly nothing like this counts, but raises many other issues.

4. we have some county music service peris and some freelance peris. The freelance peris make their own contracts with the parents - we have nothing to do with it. They also set their fees and times of working (negotiating days with us). They all have their CRB check through the school though.

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

If you're writing your own parent sign-up letters, I'd recommend:
    - A clause explaining that if a student is absent from a lesson, then they still pay (unless written notice has been given x number of days in advance, and you can reschedule). This avoids the poor teacher not being paid because students are off on sports matches, or ill. You could also include GCSE controlled-assessments in there, as students seem to have these throughout the year now. The student should know when their controlled assessments are, and should advise you well in advance so that you can reschedule (where possible) their instrument lesson. If they don't advise you, then they still pay for the lesson.
    - Or you could phrase it that the parents commit to paying for at least x amount of lessons per term (slightly less than the number of weeks in the term), so that if a student is away then there's a chance to make up the lesson. This gives you flexibility and the peri could end up teaching one less lesson one week, but an extra lesson the following week (but therefore still paid the same overall).
    It can be complicated. If you can, ask your school for time off your timetable to administrate the peri programme. They would previously have been paying the music service for this, and if you charge the parents slightly more than you pay the peris (to cover insurance, room hire, your administration service), then the 'income' can cover this reduced teaching load.

6. Check out your other local small arts organisations who may be able to offer you musicians as well in a similar way to the music service. Music services vary across the country as some have contracted employed staff and others don't and just pay freelancers to carry out their SLAs. I have worked for both a music service as a peri briefly in one school for a few hours a week whilst I was working for a local music organisation doing a different job. The organisation has its own schools programme an offer similar things as the music service.

On the other hand, I was a music coordinator at a primary school and requested our violin peri was sacked as she was always off and as a violinist myself I was aware of the very little progress her pupils were making (another colleague was teaching a pupil privately as was aware of the conflict). In the end the music service allowed us to terminate our SLA with them and until they were able to provide a different teacher I actually ran the lessons myself after school and during lunchtime! Next term we got a better replacement.

We did have a private guitar teacher who had his own contracts with parents, charged them directly etc and the school just facilitated this. By the way he was brilliant! We also had a music service peri who left the service and became a freelancer and the school opted out of their SLA and paid her privately instead.

Another thing you may not know is that the cost of peris from the music service is slightly subsidised and you may find that privately or through a different organisation you pay more.

7. DON'T DO THIS! If you don't want Peri's from the music service, invite private teachers in to make their own arrangements. The only thing you need is a CRB. Otherwise you will spend hours of your time chaisng money, answering queries, being asked by parents to make up lessons that their child could not get to because of tennis or something, entering students for exams, chasing peris when they don't turn up, observing lessons and monitoring quality. NOOOOOOOO!!!
    I've dont it. It almost killed me (I'm not kdding here!!!)