1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Perfume adverts

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by captain_picard, Jan 6, 2012.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Hi,
    I'm doing AQA Assignment 2 at the moment, and we are doing advertising. I was thinking of getting pupils to compare two perfume adverts. Can anyone think of any fairly recent adverts they could analyse? Print and TV?
    Thanks!

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There was a whole rash of over-stylised perfume ad tosh scheduled in the run up to Christmas. Can't remember the brands though, which probably won't go down well with the advertisers.

If you recorded any films from a commercial channel (or chanel haha) during that time there's a fair chance you've bagged a few perfume ads.

3. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Charlize Theron did a campaign for J'adore by Dior and the print advert she was dressed in quite revealing clothes, and in the TV campaign they used some new fangled technology to digitally insert all old movie stars like Grace Kelly and Marilyn Monroe, clearly playing on the whole "star quality" appeal etc..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXrWiJcmvBI

4. The ultimate perfume ad at the minute, I guess, would be for Justin Bieber's perfume. It's a great way of polarising the class -every student seems to have an opinion on him!
    You could broaden it out a bit to include adverts for things like hair dye such as 'Just for Men', which are great for representation and thinking about values -'buy this, pull younger women!' Any recent Lynx advert works, too. My year 9 lads now think if they use Lynx that they will be going out with The Saturdays any day soon...! Gillette adverts are good for this too. They're all quite cheesy but really engage the students. Favourite quote, "You look, they smile.." but it's David Beckham looking, and he appears to have lost none of his sparkle with my 6th form.
    Comparing this with the low self esteem of L'Oreal adverts -"Because we're worth it," (subtext: even though we think we're not) would be good. I show the students the Mitchell and Webb show sketch on advertising and they really get the idea by the end.

5. I tend to find starting by asking students to identify their expectations of a typical perfume advert (print and moving image) would be. And, then show a few that uphold and/or subvert their expectations. Yes, the Chanel ones are pretty good. The Opium ad from a few years ago (Sophie Dahl?) was controversial for the blatant sex sells nature of the image and the French M7 ad with the full frontal naked male get interesting responses (more suitable for further ed due to imagery).
    Overall, students need to be reminded what is being sold - a lifestyle and fantasy.