1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performing out of school

Discussion in 'Music' started by dropje, Jul 21, 2012.

1. dropje

dropje New commenter

I am really keen next year to get my students 'out there' performing/competing in competitions, not just in school.
    I have booked the local shopping centre towards Christmas.
    We are based in South London.

There must be more I can do? Some have extraordinary talent across all genre.
    Where do I look for competitions/ performances that children can take part in? I have choir, bands, soloists...

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I used to take my school orchestra to the Christmas party at a local health support group. We did it every year. We would play our concert pieces and would take carol sheets so they could join in with some community singing and some of the children did solos. Was a lovely experience for all, and as we did it for over 20 years a real relationship was built up. We didn't get paid of course and it wasn't a competition, but it was worth doing for the link to the wider community. (It was also a good dress rehearsal for our own concert!)
    A local hospice might also appreciate an occasional performance by some of your most talented. We had a lady from our orchestra who became terminally ill and saw out her last days in a local hospice. A small group went to play to entertain her and the other patients and this was appreciated. This would need to be very sensitively done though - again - not a competition, but another opportunity for performance.
    What about performing a the summer fete at one of your feeder schools? This would be good publicity for your own school and encourage the pupils coming up to take up an instrument.
    Is there an annual event near to you that you could offer a group of performers to? Around here we have two big events - one indoor and one outdoor where local groups of musicians perform. (We have a canal nearby, for instance, and so there is a canal festival with music).

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Music for Youth's regional festivals are free to enter and cater for all kinds of group. Look up their website. I enter every year with different groups and always have a great time.