1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performing Arts Technician

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Chris A, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Thank you,
    The advice regarding identifying tasks that don't fall into a job description for a teacher is really very useful as I believe that would build a very strong case indeed.
    And yes, I am acutely aware of the pressures on school budgets at the moment so wouldn't want to consider such a proposal unless there really was a genuine chance of meaningful outcomes which I believe there are.

2. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

We finally got a Theatre Technician in December and it has made an ENORMOUS (mind blowing) amount of difference to my workload, the kids' attitude, the professionalism of our shows, the tidyness of the facilities - just everything really.
    Things which used to take me ages - putting everything away after a play, rigging lights, ordering gels etc are just done now. He is CONSTANTLY working - 8am-6pm and I wonder how we ever managed without him.
    My line of persuasion was along the lines of "Art, Music, Science, DT, IT, PE all have technicians..." and I also kept a time sheet of everything I did in an average week and highlighted all the things a Technician could be doing and then I emphasised all the other things I could be doing to improve the Department in that time. In the end it worked out that I was spending at least half of my frees and at least one weekend per month doing Technician duties. I also bargainedthat with an extra pair of hands we could run another production each year - which went down well.
    I also tried to show all of the things the Technician could do to enhance wider school life - setting up sound for assemblies, parents' evenings etc. Advising Art students on lighting, training up a Tech team to help on shows, running a club (Technical Theatre Club), teaching some elements of the GCSE course (Use of Lighting, Use of Sound), enabling us to have Performance Support candidates.
    There is an excellent web-site about School Drama Technicians - I got the job description from there. I can't remember the address but I googled "School Theatre Technician" - it was something like the Association of Drama Technicians.

Also, Chris - we advertised at £19k for full time (including holidays) but that is central London. If it was a term-time only post and out of London I think the average salary is around £14-16k. We had almost 100 applicants - 20 good ones.