1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performance related pay - advice please!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Sooz817, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some advice or knowledge in this area...
    The examination results at my school were rather poor this year across almost all subjects, as you can imagineit is a rather stressful time wondering if we are going to be put into special measures, having inspectors in and the like.
    After school today we were all called for a meeting and told that our performance management targets HAD to include a target to do with raising student achievment in KS4 and that if we do not meet this target then we would not be moving up the pay scale.
    We were told that if we wanted to move up the pay scale then we would have to provide evidence to PROVE that we had raised student achievement.
    Are they allowed to do this? I was aware that moving up in the upper pay scale was dependent on meeting standards and targets, but I was under the assumption that moving up the main pay scale 1-6 was automatic each year until you reached M6?
    It seems that they are witholding a move up the pay scale not just in the UPS but also in the MPS dependent on if your classes achieved their FFT targets (in some cases the FFT +1!!!!)
    A friend of mine in another department had only 2 pupils not achieve their FFT target, and although they passed because it wasn't deemed high enough she has been told that she will not be moving up the scale!
    There are stories like this across the school and it all seems rather unfair... is what they are doing allowed? Can they stop people from MPS moving up as well as UPS? Do performance management targets HAVE to have a results related target?

Many Thanks in advance

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I suggest you draw your school's leadership team's attention to the School Teachers' Pay & Conditions Document which clearly sets out the rules for progression. If they wanted to withold progress on the MPS, then they should have written to any relevant member of staff indicating - in writing - that their service in the academic year had been unsatisfactory. And they would have had to have done that by the end of the academic year, i.e. last week!
    See paragraph 18.1.6 of the new STPCD - available via the FAQ

3. Thank you so much for that advice and the link, I have had a little read and forwarded it on to my school's union rep.... hopefully we can get this sorted out before anyone loses any money over it!

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

In addition to Tafkams points... Union guidance and indeed the original guidance and training on performance management target setting, is actually to avoid targets that cite numerical values at points of success. Also on your original performance management document there should be listed items of 'evidence' that will prove you achieved said target. Your reviewer cannot decide that regardless of whether you produce the evidence agreed at the time of setting, that they require other items at the end of the cycle. My stern advice to all is to ensure that any 'student attainment' related targets are worded carefully as invariably one is not responsible for the performance of any given student 'on the day' or any mitigating circumstances that render even the most wonderful teaching redundant when it comes to actual results.

5. Especially as I teach Drama and edexcel seem to be the most subjective, unrealistic and ridiculous examiners I have ever come across! You just can't seem to predict the results with them and this year we got results that made it look like they were marking them against the RSC!!!! Crazy - and even more scary when its considered that this could have an effect on my pay!