1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performance Management

Discussion in 'Primary' started by elizabeth1972, Nov 13, 2011.

1. I wonder if someone could briefly outline performance management for me?
    I saw on another thread that someone has "only just" started their performance management for this year, and it made me wonder if there is a cycle to it throughout the year?
    I finished my NQT year last year, and so this will be my first year subject to performance management. My headteacher hasn't mentioned anything, and nor has anyone else at school, but my head is the sort who expects me to do things I know nothing about and then enjoys telling me that I have gaps in my professional knowledge.
    Any pointers towards anything I should have done by this time in the year would be very gratefully received!

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

performance management has to be completed by 31st october... you should have already had your targets set for the year.

3. Oh crikey. So is this down to me or the headteacher? It hasn't even been mentioned to me in school.
    Should I be doing something?

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

it's statutory to have done it by then. it should all have been arranged, done and dusted and everything. have other people had theirs? it's not your job to instigate it, but perhaps 'have i been missed out?' in a concerned tone might work.

5. You could be thinking about areas you want to work on - we have to develop guided groups this year (whole school target) and then I've got two other targets to work on. You should have a a named person who is carrying out your performance management so you need to ask who this is and arrange a meeting with them. It might just be that you've been forgotten and everyone's carrying on with the same people as last year. If your HT isn't always helpful, can you ask the deputy or key stage leader? Perhaps ask colleagues whether they've had a meeting yet. We had to sort ours out at the start of the term and one of our teachers had just returned full time and their performance manager had left so they'd been forgotten about. Good luck!

6. I'm not sure about everyone else. We're a small school with not many staff so I think I'd possibly know if it was something being done during the school day, especially if it impacted on lesson time.
    Thanks, Emily: I'll try your suggesion of concered puzzlement this week.

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We just sit in the room with HT for half an hour. HT witters on about targets and writes stuff down. We all say OK then, I swear I will try to do these things. We get given a copy of bit of paper to sign. Then we all lost the bits of paper and nobody remembers what is on them till it's time for the next round of PM.
    Nobody ever gets a pay rise because of PM, so we all just ignore it.

8. Hi,
    Performance management (PM) includes activities that ensure that
    goals are consistently being met in an effective and efficient manner.
    Performance management can focus on the performance of an organization, a
    department, employee, or even the processes to build a product or
    service, as well as many other areas.

phonic