1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performance management - Unrealistic targets - No progression up the scale

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ps2mint, Sep 26, 2015.

1. ps2mint

ps2mint New commenter

Hi all,
    My school as a non-negotiatable PM target have unrealistically high levels of progress for the pupils which we teach. Very few people in the school have met these targets. The head in a meeting has told us that if we haven't met these high targets this year progression further up the scale will not be allowed.
    This has made me consider my position - Based on the 3 and 4 levels of progress figures I am unlikely to achieve these year on year meaning I will now never progress on the scale.
    Our workload is always increasing with every week it seems and for this not to be recognised seems ridiculous.
    I'm guessing other people are in the same situation and that these unrealistically high targets are rife across the majority of schools? I suppose unions cannot offer much support on this matter?

Thanks

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Your head is an idiot and doesn't understand numbers, statistics, children or teaching

Get a new job if you can

3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Yep we had to choose three classes and had to better 85% three levels of progress and 45% four levels. If you had top sets you had a slight chance, with those who have lower sets, good luck....

Needless to say there were an awful lot of letters saying that the teacher had not met the required levels of progress.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This is the only realistic option.

About 5 years ago when the idea of 4 levels of progress was first mooted I looked at the yr.11 just left in my subject, 1 pupil in the school out of a cohort of around 200 had made 4 levels of progress.

The numbers that targets are based on these days are utterly meaningless, they can be made to show whatever it is that smt want them to show, especially if it's that no-one is worth a raise.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I agree with the above - look elsewhere.

NB If a school sets such high "targets" ( I use the word very loosely!) surely the logical response is not to try too hard...Don't sweat, just do enough....

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I strongly suspect the head and SLT know how unachievable the targets are and are using them as a means of reducing spending on wages. Which is bad, but arguably at least one step improved from the 'sack all the expensive staff and start with mainly NQTs each year' approach. At least you HAVE a job.....

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, I disagree - I think you're crediting them with more intelligence and understanding than they have. I think they actually believe these targets are possible. This sort of thing will only get worse as more and more schools become academies.

lizziescat and wanet like this.
  8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Oh how I would like to agree with you, it would be the most benign explanation. But I can't!!!

There are certainly heads out there who have cottoned onto the fact that they can pay below scale and there are more who think that pay progression should be 'challenging'. This case seems to transcend that and it seems from the description that this is indeed a deliberate policy.

To say this is short-sighted would be the grossest insult to myopia everywhere. It is an absurdity but one produced as a direct result of Government policy. There will be the temptation for other heads to follow suit with this and it another thing that the unions need to be aware of and try and fight.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

This is the kind of thing that ought to hit the press as a complete scandal!
    Perhaps TES will pick this up and run with it.
    And they wonder why people don't want to train to teach these days!

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I don't expect TES to run with it.Many things it never has run with.Its not a crusading organisation,
    Yet to answer the question I do think its a ruse to keep down pay and work staff into the ground,
    They got rid of the expensive older teachers now its lets employ young ones very cheaply and work then til they drop..
    After all what was to point of establishing Academies..to raise standards and give free rein......so pennies saved from teachers,in what ever form, can then be 'utilised' by the academy.
    In fairness setting targets is not wrong.but basing wages upon a notion all children will jump through bigger an bigger hoops easily, is a total failure of understanding education..and a failure to encourage and support staff rather than hitting them with unbelievable targets.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If a teacher's pay depends on meeting those targets, and if there is not valid basis on which those targets have been set, then it is not only wrong, it is also unprofessional.