1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performance management targets

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Zadok1, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Did you agree to this target? Didn't you have any kind of meeting and discussion? I would ask the head to meet with you and explain your dilemma... but go with some achievable targets in mind. It does sound like they're very happy to have employed you as a general dogsbody... but they obviously think you're capable or the wouldn't ask you to do it.

I'd stop panicking and try the most obvious route... a good old conversation! You could always ask if your target is maths related for Y6 could your time teaching them maths be protected and could you do your own lesson planning for those lessons... you might find the other Y6 teacher loves you for this... maybe they could cover you in whatever area you've been thrown while you teach the kids maths...

All I'm saying is why not be a little proactive... discuss it with the other teachers first if you want to get a feel for how performance management works in the school. But don't wait in dread... tackle it before it does become stressful or a problem.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Such a target should never have been agreed to. There is no requirement for targets to have, and indeed unions advise against agreeing to, numerical indicators like this.

3. Just tell your school that you won't be agreeing to the targets because they aren't appropriate.
    I had to do this a couple of years ago when I saw set targets that would have been appropriate for an AHT or similar role but way outside of my job spec'.

4. Thanks for your replies [​IMG]

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

try being proactive - your head may have come up with such inappropriate targets because he was a bit clueless: consider what you think would indicate good performance based on your work at present and put it on the table.
    Should your work pattern change it is good practice (envisaged in PM Regs 2006) to change your target mid-cycle to suit a new situation.

6. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I went on some PM reviewer training and they recommended that targets should be like this (and to relate back to the School Development plan (or whatever they are called these days). The PM reviewer should look to see what the teacher has done to move towards those targets (planning, lesson delivery, marking, feedback, AfL blah blah) and if the evidence that they had done the work towards moving the children on was there then you should meet your PM target, whether or not the pupils had actually achieved their target. It may be that your school take this approach but a conversation with the PM reviewer/head is in order.