1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Performance management targets - how many?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chubbyone, Oct 28, 2018.

1. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Debate is how many? 3 or 4? Some say 3 is the maximum. Would it depend on whether you hold a TLR? Are on UPS?
    Thank you.

2. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

Everybody at our place has 3, regardless of TLR/UPS.

3. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

3 unless you have TLR then 4

thekillers1 and install like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't think there are rules.
    But 'guidance' is no more than three.

5. install

install Star commenter

Yes,.see the rules in your School Policy. Most PM Policies will have 3 minimum as a rule. Any more may be deemed unworkable . If you are on a TLR the objective(s) will be most likely be worded to take that role into account. And with a UPS, the standards may be referenced that need to be met. :cool:

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I always had three, though some schools allowed me to help decide on what they were to be and the last school told all staff exactly what they were (ludicrous ones too) and then used the fact that staff couldn't manage to meet and exceed all targets as a weapon.
    But there were only three for mainscale teachers.

JohnJCazorla and install like this.
  7. secretteacher2357

secretteacher2357 Occasional commenter

I have worked in 4 schools and always had 3 targets - one whole school, one department and one personal.

blazer and install like this.
  8. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I have four, because my school gives an extra one to anyone on the UPS. Two of the four are whole-school, data-led targets (which in my opinion are impossible to achieve with any average cohort), and the other two I choose - one of which must link to my particular areas of responsibility.

The trick for the last two, I’ve found, is to choose stuff that you were going to do anyway (subject audits, trialling new systems) and agree to nothing numerical for them.

I failed to meet the fixed data ones last year (no surprise there) but have successfully argued my case and will be (ahem) a little more generous with my teacher assessments this year to ensure all targets are met.

It’s ludicrous, really. Do they want my honest opinion, or do they want to hear about unbelievable progress across the board? They can’t have both from all pupils. Last year’s data show more than a quarter of my class achieved very few or no age-related expectations with their previous teacher, and I’m not a silk-purse manufacturer!

Fortunately, what puts the seal on the whole stupid process is that nothing happens to those of us who fail to meet our targets, and no reward is given for those who exceed them. It’s just paying lip service to PM, and a huge waste of everyone’s time.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Same in all the schools where I've known about it. Totally pointless exercise.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Last school I was at had three...

Then they would break down the 3 into 6-8 tasks that needed to be done to meet those 3.

Cunning... add a t

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

As a head I had three:but there were an awful lot of bullet points within them.

12. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

In schools where so many staff have left; where there are serious budget deficits; where poverty and social breakdown are at a peak I'd have thought a realistic target is to keep turning up, week after week, with a positive mindset determined tomake a difference. My target is to remain committed to the young people so that they leave feeling better about themselves and their future and I will do this despite the useless leadership and lack of support in that school.

Although i phrased it slightly differently when discussing it with my LM.

lrw22, blazer, Summerhols6 and 6 others like this.
  13. 1cherries

1cherries New commenter

14. 1cherries

1cherries New commenter

Bravo : there we have it - THE TRUTH. Watch Kez - to quote the Head: "same old faces ... has owt ever really changed ?". Same as it ever was ...same as it ever was... same as it ever...

15. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

What’s the general consensus on numerical targets? Eg ‘70% of children will make accelerated progress’ or ‘85% of children will be at ARE by the end of the year’? I was under the impression unions generally devised against these (though I realise union advice is just advice and rarely holds any legal power). A friend of mine has just been set these by a new head and was saying how great it was that they were numerically based and there could be no arguing over whether you’d met it etc etc and I was just surprised - I’ve been set these in the past and never thought they were great and thought things had moved on - last year mine were more general, things I could control and...shock horror, achieveable!!

16. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

3 - but we can choose them and they are one school, one departmental and the last, personal. Ours are worded so as to not be too onerous, eg. I want to introduce Classical Civilisation to our new A-levels but if it isn't feasible due to too few students, I am not considered to have failed my target if I can show all the work done to try to achieve it, eg. I will be starting a Classics club and arguing for a new GCSE that could feed into the A-level - those are achieveable. Most of my targets over the last few years have been formalising what I was doing anyway or had planned to do.

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

• Objectives arise from professional dialogue between the teacher and

the reviewer not a third party.

•  Objectives are confidential between the teacher, the reviewer and the

head teacher (HT).

• Objects cannot be based on pupil data of any sort including

examination results because such numerical phenomena reflect

student performance not the teacher’s. None of this - at least 75% of students will achieve 7 or above at GCSE.

•  Objectives must stem from the teacher’s job description and the

contractual framework set out in the STPCD within which all teachers

operate.

•  Objectives cannot arise from voluntary or extra-curricular activities or

be based on administrative tasks that are not an appropriate

responsibility for teachers to undertake, as per the STPCD. No trips or clubs can be part of it.

•  It is reasonable that one whole school objective is shared by all

teachers providing this is agreed between the head teacher and union representatives in consultation with the teaching staff and that it capacity for individual focus. So your performance can't be made dependent upon your colleagues. You have to be able to show that you achieved it even if the rest of them didn't. You can't have to rely on them to do their job.

•  CPD entitlements flow from performance management and place a duty on the school.

•  All performance management activities must take place in directed time. Obviously!
    •  Planning, preparation and assessment (PPA) time cannot be used for any aspect of performance management. You don't have your target-setting meeting in PPA time! You get PPA PLUS taken out of class for the meeting.

•  Performance management is covered by the NASUWT national action instructions.

18. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Depends upon the learning context. I'm FE trained and have worked in both schools and colleges. Only in my most recent workplace (an indy) have I been given specific www and EBIs as part of an appraisal (in previous places, I was just given nit picking things that I must do/not do in my lessons in future). On an individual basis, we are given 3 targets (1 must be pastoral-related to being a personal tutor). Collectively, we were given a page of both after weekly learning walks until this year. This process was never related to my position (I have worked as both teacher and head of subject and have never held TLR or been on UPS) in the school/college in question, so I don't see what the debate is here, tbh. Sorry if that sounds rude, btw.

Hope this answer helps!

19. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Thanks for your replies. So basically it can be 4 then if you have a TLR? 3 is only a 'guidance.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, only guidance.